Salisbury to Corfe Castle trip.
Marland
2018-06-30 21:55:02 UTC
Though we usually drive there in around an hour today influenced by the
good weather and our last opportunity before the school holidays we decided
to to take the Summer Saturday service that runs at the moment. Leaves
Salisbury shortly after 8 so not too much of an early start.
Train actually originates at Basingstoke and I think it had a few people on
even though the promotional day return fares of £10 to Corfe or £5 to
Weymouth only start at Salisbury so presumably were travelling that leg on
other tickets. Not too many got on at Salisbury maybe about 50 -70 people
so plenty of room in the 5 car unit comprised of a 159 and 158 set. The
platform display said front 3 coaches for Corfe but as the 158 was leading
that did not sound quite right so with a ticket as the 158 and receipt as
the 159 I played trains on the table and simulated reversal at Yeovil
Junction and again at Pen Mill which as I thought would put the 158 against
the buffers at Weymouth allowing the 159 to reverse out again taking the
route to Wareham where it reversed again to heading for Worgret Junction
and the Swanage Railway. The guard was doing a good job of making sure
people were in the right bit when checking tickets and on announcements.
Units were both in the full new livery of South Western Railway which
looked better that I thought it would
compared to when I first saw it in photos, certainly made an interesting
contrast with the green Bulleid and Mk1 coaches hauled by the T9 or class
33 on the Swanage Railway services,the internal temperatures were a
contrast too, the 159 with its AC being welcomed by many though the AC did
struggle a bit on the return journey in today’s heat in one of the coaches
If you want to avail yourself of trip beyond Corfe a separate Swanage
Railway ticket has to be purchased at £10 for one full round trip on the
line, to avoid a mass rush at Corfe Swanage Railway staff joined at
Weymouth and sold tickets on board from there. This was good as after the
slowish start at Salisbury the service seems to have really caught on with
people living in West Dorset and South Somerset as good loadings were taken
on from Tisbury westwards,after Yeovil the train still had a few seats but
had got to the stage where they were odd ones here and there so travelling
companions had to separate.
Interestingly Weymouth seemed the most popular destination as it gave a
longer time for a family visit to the seaside plus the lower fare of £5
return / children £2.50 making it bargain. but after detaching the 158 the
3 cars of the 159 were still reasonably full as many from Weymouth and
Dorchester were taking the opportunity of a cheap return on a through train
to Corfe as for that segment their fare was back to the £5 figure.
You don’t get too long at Corfe with arrival at 11.37 and departure at
15.45 especially if you do travel to Swanage and some may think the 3
hours plus from Salisbury with lots of dwell time for pathing and the
slightly quicker return journey a long time just for a quickish visit not
worth it but on a day a like today the scenery of Dorset and Somerset is
pleasant enough to pass through in its own right.
The atmosphere on board was good with a definite Summer special atmosphere
and even though present in numbers all the children we could see and here
were exited but well behaved and the SWR staff were happy and helpful as
well and seemed glad to be there.
You do get some miles in though for your £10 , not many opportunities to
pass through both Dorchester’s and both Yeovil’s on the same train.
Like Wallace and Gromit we had a grand day out but if the fine weather
continues into the school holidays I’ll reckon the service will be really
full so if anyone is considering the journey I’d recommend doing it before
the schools break up

GH
p***@gmail.com
2018-07-02 07:29:52 UTC
Post by Marland
Though we usually drive there in around an hour today influenced by the
good weather and our last opportunity before the school holidays we decided
to to take the Summer Saturday service that runs at the moment. Leaves
Salisbury shortly after 8 so not too much of an early start.
Train actually originates at Basingstoke and I think it had a few people on
even though the promotional day return fares of £10 to Corfe or £5 to
Weymouth only start at Salisbury so presumably were travelling that leg on
other tickets. Not too many got on at Salisbury maybe about 50 -70 people
I would have thought 50-70 was a very good number boarding.

Post by Marland
You do get some miles in though for your £10 , not many opportunities to
pass through both Dorchester’s and both Yeovil’s on the same train.
Like Wallace and Gromit we had a grand day out but if the fine weather
continues into the school holidays I’ll reckon the service will be really
full so if anyone is considering the journey I’d recommend doing it before
the schools break up
GH
Very interesting report, and very good to read both SWR and Swanage Rly staff are taking care to ensure passengers have a smooth experience, get in the right carriage, etc.

A good advert for SWR - sounds like someone is making a lot of effort to make this work.

Thank you for posting.

PP
a***@gmail.com
2018-07-02 20:44:28 UTC
Being an enthusiast based in Weymouth, I do head down to see this service every week. Every week it has been a South Western Railway Branded 159 however a variety of 158s (2 in SWT livery, rest in SWR). It has been a fairly well-used service since the off and the Swanage staff join the service at Weymouth every week. However one downside is that there are no platform announcements to announce the service, and people always try to get on the 158 even though it’s locked 😂