East Grinstead tunnels
Richard Wright
2006-02-01 16:33:02 UTC
Hi everyone,

Please could someone post details of the two tunnels on the disused
line between East Grinstead and Forest Row. I understand they were
known as East Grinstead No.1 and East Grinstead No.2, but where exactly
were they situated? I also need length information ideally.

RW
Paul
2006-02-01 16:58:56 UTC
Post by Richard Wright
Hi everyone,
Please could someone post details of the two tunnels on the disused
line between East Grinstead and Forest Row. I understand they were
known as East Grinstead No.1 and East Grinstead No.2, but where exactly
were they situated? I also need length information ideally.
RW
According to the UK Railway and Canal Tunnel Database:

East Grinstead 1: 78 yards, OS Grid Ref TQ 401379
East Grinstead 2: 48 yards, OS Grid Ref TQ 407369

Regards

Paul
MartinM
2006-02-01 18:12:19 UTC
Post by Richard Wright
Hi everyone,
Please could someone post details of the two tunnels on the disused
line between East Grinstead and Forest Row. I understand they were
known as East Grinstead No.1 and East Grinstead No.2, but where exactly
were they situated? I also need length information ideally.
Not sure which was 1 or 2 but one was about where College Lane crosses
the A22 Beeching Way on a bridge, and one was under the roundabout at
the S end of the same road. The cutting was opened out and both tunnels
destroyed. The sandstone from the cutting was dumped south of
Imberhorne Lane bridge on the Bluebell line formation; it is currently
being dug out, well worth seeing, they operate spoil trains twice a day
AFAIK.
Paul
2006-02-01 18:42:30 UTC
Post by MartinM
Post by Richard Wright
Hi everyone,
Not sure which was 1 or 2 but one was about where College Lane crosses
the A22 Beeching Way on a bridge, and one was under the roundabout at
the S end of the same road. The cutting was opened out and both tunnels
destroyed. The sandstone from the cutting was dumped south of
Imberhorne Lane bridge on the Bluebell line formation; it is currently
being dug out, well worth seeing, they operate spoil trains twice a day
AFAIK.
That explains a lot, I've travelled down Beeching Way many a time and
wondered if the cutting had been enlarged to make way for the all conquering
motor vehicle. The OS Grid refs must be slightly out of kilter in that case
as using these it gives No.1 at the roundabout Martin mentions above, but
No. 2 midway between East Grinstead and Forest Row. Using Martin's info, No
2 was located at TQ397382. I've just looked at my 1940s OS map and indeed
that agrees with Martin's locations:

No.1 http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=540060&Y=137945&A=Y&Z=1

No.2 http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=539782&Y=138245&A=Y&Z=1

Paul
MartinM
2006-02-01 20:29:28 UTC
Post by Paul
That explains a lot, I've travelled down Beeching Way many a time and
wondered if the cutting had been enlarged to make way for the all conquering
motor vehicle. The OS Grid refs must be slightly out of kilter in that case
as using these it gives No.1 at the roundabout Martin mentions above, but
No. 2 midway between East Grinstead and Forest Row. Using Martin's info, No
2 was located at TQ397382. I've just looked at my 1940s OS map and indeed
No.1 http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=540060&Y=137945&A=Y&Z=1
No.2 http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=539782&Y=138245&A=Y&Z=1
I should add I'm assuming that the one under the roundabout has gone;
the A22 climbs up slightly to the roundabout where the trackbed would
have continued on the level, beyond the RAB the Forest Way slopes down
steeply to Herontye Ave past a large amount of infill which would have
been the south portal.

there are of course quite a few tunnels still extant and accessible in
the area; Grove in Tun Wells, Argos Hill, Heathfield, Horsmonden,
Badger's Oak (also on the Hawkhurst branch) and Lywood and Cinder Hill
on the two erstwhile abandoned arms of the Bluebell.
Richard Wright
2006-02-01 21:35:32 UTC
Post by MartinM
there are of course quite a few tunnels still extant and accessible in
the area; Grove in Tun Wells, Argos Hill, Heathfield, Horsmonden,
Badger's Oak (also on the Hawkhurst branch) and Lywood and Cinder Hill
on the two erstwhile abandoned arms of the Bluebell.
Thanks both for the info. You mention Grove Tunnel as being
accessible. Do you know of a way to reach it? On both occasions I've
visited it, I've failed to get right up to the portals.

RW
MartinM
2006-02-01 21:45:34 UTC
Post by Richard Wright
Post by MartinM
there are of course quite a few tunnels still extant and accessible in
the area; Grove in Tun Wells, Argos Hill, Heathfield, Horsmonden,
Badger's Oak (also on the Hawkhurst branch) and Lywood and Cinder Hill
on the two erstwhile abandoned arms of the Bluebell.
Thanks both for the info. You mention Grove Tunnel as being
accessible. Do you know of a way to reach it? On both occasions I've
visited it, I've failed to get right up to the portals.
at the extreme eastern end of the Sainsbury's there is a coach park on
the formation; access from here is possible by going under the road
bridge slightly N of the fomation.

hope this helps ;-)
Paul
2006-02-01 22:25:23 UTC
Post by MartinM
Post by Richard Wright
Hi everyone,
Please could someone post details of the two tunnels on the disused
line between East Grinstead and Forest Row. I understand they were
known as East Grinstead No.1 and East Grinstead No.2, but where exactly
were they situated? I also need length information ideally.
Not sure which was 1 or 2 but one was about where College Lane crosses
the A22 Beeching Way on a bridge, and one was under the roundabout at
the S end of the same road. The cutting was opened out and both tunnels
destroyed. The sandstone from the cutting was dumped south of
Imberhorne Lane bridge on the Bluebell line formation; it is currently
being dug out, well worth seeing, they operate spoil trains twice a day
AFAIK.
Martin,

is that the for proposed opening of the line to E Grinstead (I assume the
spoil trains are operated by the Bluebell - where are they taking it)? I had
an email from someone some time ago asking if the viaduct was listed as they
was working on it at the time.

Paul
MartinM
2006-02-01 22:47:10 UTC
Post by Paul
is that the for proposed opening of the line to E Grinstead (I assume the
spoil trains are operated by the Bluebell - where are they taking it)? I had
an email from someone some time ago asking if the viaduct was listed as they
was working on it at the time.
The spoil trains are indeed taking the sandstone to Horsted Keynes
where they are building an embankment on the formation of the old
Sherriff's Mill viaduct towards Ardingly, the long term plan being to
bridge the gap.

lots of photos on the Bluebell's website.

I don't think the viaduct is listed, it is being repaired by the
Bluebell for eventual re-opening; although it all depends on removal of
the main spoil tip at a cost of circa £4m
Paul
2006-02-01 23:28:39 UTC
"MartinM" <***@wcms.org.uk> wrote in message news:***@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

The spoil trains are indeed taking the sandstone to Horsted Keynes
where they are building an embankment on the formation of the old
Sherriff's Mill viaduct towards Ardingly, the long term plan being to
bridge the gap.

lots of photos on the Bluebell's website.

I don't think the viaduct is listed, it is being repaired by the
Bluebell for eventual re-opening; although it all depends on removal of
the main spoil tip at a cost of circa £4m

Thanks Martin - yes the viaduct is listed.

Paul
MartinM
2006-02-02 15:31:35 UTC
Post by Paul
Thanks Martin - yes the viaduct is listed.
it's also listing ;-)

Roger T.
2006-02-02 03:53:23 UTC
Post by Paul
is that the for proposed opening of the line to E Grinstead (I assume the
spoil trains are operated by the Bluebell - where are they taking it)? I
had an email from someone some time ago asking if the viaduct was listed
as they was working on it at the time.
<http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/bluenewsarchive05a.html>

"Bluebell spoil trains" Google is our friend.

--
Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway