Man jumps to his death at station
o***@googlemail.com
2007-04-18 09:51:00 UTC
From: http://www.theargus.co.uk:80/display.var.1335301.0.0.php?utag=32821

Train passengers watched in horror as a man jumped to his death from a
railway bridge at a station.

The man threw himself onto the tracks from a footbridge at Durrington
station, near Worthing, at lunchtime yesterday.

A horrified member of the public phoned British Transport Police
immediately.

The electric charge was turned off straight after the call to police
and all trains to the station were stopped.

Paramedics from South East Coast Ambulance Service were dispatched to
the scene but could do nothing for the man. They pronounced him dead
at 1.20pm.

The man, who has not yet been named, was white and in his mid 30s.

advertisementBritish Transport Police spokeswoman Natalie Davison
said: "We got a call at 1.10pm from a member of the public who had
seen a male jump from a railway bridge above the line.

"He wasn't hit by a train or the electrified rail but unfortunately he
died as a result of his injuries."

She said it appeared that the jump had been intentional.

Sussex Police officers were first on the scene and were soon joined by
members of British Transport Police, who have authority to access the
track.

Ms Davison said the death was not being treated as suspicious.
Officers were last night trying to confirm who the man was.

She said: "Investigations are continuing. A report will be prepared
for the coroner."

There were no trains in the section of the rail network at the time.
The line was closed until 1.50pm.

A spokeswoman for Southern trains said services were brought to a
standstill.

Trains from Brighton to Littlehampton were affected, as well as trains
from London to Littlehampton or Southampton via Hove. There were still
delays of up to 45 minutes three hours after the tragedy.

Yesterday's death was the latest suicide attempt on Sussex's railway
lines.

Last month a 46-year-old woman from Worthing leapt onto the track at
Lancing but walked away without a scratch after a 70mph train passed
directly over her.

In February last year a woman died after throwing herself in front of
a 70mph at Hampden Park railway station in Eastbourne. She was
pronounced dead at the scene. The train driver was treated for shock.

In 2004 a man was seriously injured after jumping off Shaftesbury
Bridge over the track in Shaftesbury Avenue, Durrington. He was
treated for a broken pelvis and back injuries.

Two men had to be talked down by police from railway bridges in
Durrington with a few weeks of each other in December 1999.

2:48am today
Nathan
2007-04-18 10:29:47 UTC
From: http://www.theargus.co.uk:80/display.var.1335301.0.0.php?utag=32821
Train passengers watched in horror as a man jumped to his death from a
railway bridge at a station.
It was a bad day yesterday, there was another suicide at Stoats Nest
Junction yesterday morning, just south of Purley station involving an FCC
train.

My thoughts go out to the driver of this train, i'm only glad that the
suicide you reported didn't involve any trains

Nathan
andy
2007-04-18 11:00:30 UTC
Post by Nathan
It was a bad day yesterday, there was another suicide at Stoats Nest
Junction yesterday morning, just south of Purley station involving an FCC
train.
My thoughts go out to the driver of this train, i'm only glad that the
suicide you reported didn't involve any trains
Yep, mine go out to the Purley driver, this is why we skipped Purley
yesterday (see my onboard scrolling display thread)

Saw the train stopped just south of the platform, police on the platform as
well as white sheet covering what I assume to be the remains.
PON
2007-04-18 15:26:07 UTC
Jim Hague
2007-04-18 18:32:14 UTC
From: http://www.theargus.co.uk:80/display.var.1335301.0.0.php?utag=32821
Train passengers watched in horror as a man jumped to his death from a
railway bridge at a station.
It was a bad day yesterday, there was another suicide at Stoats Nest
Junction yesterday morning, just south of Purley station involving an FCC
train.
I was on the 09:44 HST from Reading to Paddington yesterday morning.
Full brake application brought us to a halt somewhere around Hayes
(I think). The train manager announced we'd stopped due to the
driver thinking he'd hit someone, and shorthly afterwards he confirmed
a fatality. The line was closed until about 11:50; amongst other activity,
two London Ambulance paramedics had the fun job of crawling around
underneath the train with a large white plastic bag. Train restarted
with a relief driver at 11:55.

I thought the FGW crew handled the incident very well. We were kept informed
of the situation, warned to expect a long wait, and drinks and food from
the buffet made available for free. The train manager, correctly I think,
gently reminded us that the train was under the orders of BTP, and on
eventual arrival into Paddington thanked everyone for their patience
and stated that those possessing tickets to connecting services that they
had now missed would have those tickets honoured on other services to
their destination.
Post by Nathan
My thoughts go out to the driver of this train, i'm only glad that the
suicide you reported didn't involve any trains
Guessing from what I saw out of the window, someone from FGW (management,
I presume) arrived to take the driver under her wing. Poor sod; I can
only wish him well.
Jim Hague - ***@bear-cave.org.uk Never trust a computer you can't lift.
Ian
2007-04-19 07:52:52 UTC
... i'm only glad that the
suicide you reported didn't involve any trains
Possibly the definitive uk.railway posting.

Ian
Ian
2007-04-19 07:53:55 UTC
From:http://www.theargus.co.uk:80/display.var.1335301.0.0.php?utag=32821
Train passengers watched in horror as a man jumped to his death from a
railway bridge at a station.
The man threw himself onto the tracks from a footbridge at Durrington
station, near Worthing, at lunchtime yesterday.
Anyone got the National Insurance number of the chap involved?

Ian
tony sayer
2007-04-19 07:58:20 UTC
From:http://www.theargus.co.uk:80/display.var.1335301.0.0.php?utag=32821
Train passengers watched in horror as a man jumped to his death from a
railway bridge at a station.
The man threw himself onto the tracks from a footbridge at Durrington
station, near Worthing, at lunchtime yesterday.
Anyone got the National Insurance number of the chap involved?
Ian
We haven't had the bl^^dy train number yet.. give it a chance!..
Tony Sayer
Ken Ward
2007-04-19 17:06:43 UTC
From:http://www.theargus.co.uk:80/display.var.1335301.0.0.php?utag=32821
Train passengers watched in horror as a man jumped to his death from a
railway bridge at a station.
The man threw himself onto the tracks from a footbridge at Durrington
station, near Worthing, at lunchtime yesterday.
Anyone got the National Insurance number of the chap involved?
Ian
We haven't had the bl^^dy train number yet.. give it a chance!..
Do keep up... was it the train before or the one after you wanted?