3 Hours of train music
Basil Jet
2021-02-26 01:17:10 UTC
Gideon Coe did a whole show of songs about trains.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000sjsj

It's available on iPlayer.

It includes my favourite train song,
"Click Clack" by Captain Beefheart.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
8385 Collected Works (1983-1985) - Cabaret Voltaire
Bevan Price
2021-02-27 14:26:28 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Gideon Coe did a whole show of songs about trains.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000sjsj
It's available on iPlayer.
It includes my favourite train song,
"Click Clack" by Captain Beefheart.
http://youtu.be/pkgRPMACOY4
Quite a few obscure names that I have never heard of, and no sign of one
of my favourite train songs - "East Coast Racer" by Big Big Train (a
rock ballad about Mallard's record run.)

m***@round-midnight.org.uk
2021-02-27 14:50:00 UTC
Post by Bevan Price
Post by Basil Jet
Gideon Coe did a whole show of songs about trains.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000sjsj
It's available on iPlayer.
It includes my favourite train song,
"Click Clack" by Captain Beefheart.
http://youtu.be/pkgRPMACOY4
Quite a few obscure names that I have never heard of, and no sign of one
of my favourite train songs - "East Coast Racer" by Big Big Train (a
rock ballad about Mallard's record run.)
http://youtu.be/CDN1P77Nm_Q
I thought it a bizzare collection with obscure tracks included to the
exclusion of much better known ones.
Sam Wilson
2021-02-27 17:17:58 UTC
Post by m***@round-midnight.org.uk
Post by Bevan Price
Post by Basil Jet
Gideon Coe did a whole show of songs about trains.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000sjsj
It's available on iPlayer.
It includes my favourite train song,
"Click Clack" by Captain Beefheart.
http://youtu.be/pkgRPMACOY4
Quite a few obscure names that I have never heard of, and no sign of one
of my favourite train songs - "East Coast Racer" by Big Big Train (a
rock ballad about Mallard's record run.)
http://youtu.be/CDN1P77Nm_Q
I thought it a bizzare collection with obscure tracks included to the
exclusion of much better known ones.
They got The Roches (spelled wrongly!) and Pete Atkin, though, but not
Bruce Cockburn.

Sam
--
The entity formerly known as ***@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply
Scott
2021-04-23 08:35:31 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Gideon Coe did a whole show of songs about trains.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000sjsj
It's available on iPlayer.
It includes my favourite train song,
"Click Clack" by Captain Beefheart.
http://youtu.be/pkgRPMACOY4
I have always loved 'City of Orleans'.

Does anybody remember when Capital Radio (Graham Dene?) made a special
version of 'Day trip to Bangor' with the lyrics changed to 'Nobody's
seen the eight fourteen Barnhurst to Blackfriars [and] there's a hell
of a lack of train on the track, these things are sent to try us'?
This was at a time the 08:14 Barnhurst to Blackfriars was getting
cancelled every day.
m***@round-midnight.org.uk
2021-04-23 10:04:21 UTC
Post by Scott
Post by Basil Jet
Gideon Coe did a whole show of songs about trains.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000sjsj
It's available on iPlayer.
It includes my favourite train song,
"Click Clack" by Captain Beefheart.
http://youtu.be/pkgRPMACOY4
I have always loved 'City of Orleans'.
Does anybody remember when Capital Radio (Graham Dene?) made a special
version of 'Day trip to Bangor' with the lyrics changed to 'Nobody's
seen the eight fourteen Barnhurst to Blackfriars [and] there's a hell
of a lack of train on the track, these things are sent to try us'?
This was at a time the 08:14 Barnhurst to Blackfriars was getting
cancelled every day.

BR issued a statement to Capitol Radio stating this was one of the first
services to be cancelled as overall it caused the least inconvenience to
passengers.
Scott
2021-04-23 15:12:41 UTC
On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 11:04:21 +0100,
http://youtu.be/lSMHEleQ6mY
It didn't stop them making mischief though :-)
m***@round-midnight.org.uk
2021-04-23 15:25:57 UTC
Post by Scott
Post by Basil Jet
[...]
It was always light hearted and not malicious though.

I think it was Mike Smith who presented the breakfast show at that time.
Scott
It could have been Smithy before he departed for R1.
m***@round-midnight.org.uk
2021-04-23 19:41:23 UTC
Post by Scott
Post by Basil Jet
[...]
In that case it was him. The trap on his last travel news on his last
show said something like the 8.14 to the BBC.
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2021-04-24 02:06:35 UTC
Post by Scott
Post by Basil Jet
[...]
The YouTube comments say Mike Smith.

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Scott
2021-04-24 07:58:23 UTC
Post by Scott
Post by Basil Jet
[...]
Yes, Smitty (not Smithy) it was, sadly no longer with us.