Memory Lane trip down the L&SWR to Yeovil Jcn, plus odd 2 car working (Long-ish)
p***@gmail.com
2014-11-20 11:27:57 UTC
I took a trip from Waterloo to Yeovil Jcn and back yesterday.

The last time I departed Waterloo on the main line was behind a WC pacific - and my last (and first) time west of Worting Junction was behind a Warship - nearly 50 years ago. West of Salisbury I had a WC pacific after the next Warship did what Warships did well - failed.

Yesterday we certainly rattled along between Waterloo and Basingstoke - I guess the line speed is 100 mph, and these 159s can hit that no problem. There are actually some nice looking places - lakes/streams and stuff in this commuterland.

I had forgotten Andover altogether. I suppose there were fast lines through the centre of the station. Did the line to Swindon use platforms on the north side, heading off in a north-easterly direction?

I had vague memories of Salisbury, the station seems quite like it was back then in terms of layout.

Then there were about 30 locos on shed - today, as far as I could make out - the shed area appears obliterated - it looks like totally built over.

We soon entered the single line section - which somehow downgrades the whole experience for me. Tidsbury looked very picturesque as a small town. Beautiful scenery around there, lots of streams flowing through deep green fields and autumn-leafed trees.

There was a section near Tidsbury where the up line seemed not to have been removed - so that appeared to be re-instatable relatively easily, if needs be.

Templecombe - or at least where the shed was - I could remember in terms of topography. today, I could see no reminder of the link line which necessitated that absurdly expensive combination of 2-6-2T or 2-6-4T "top and tailed" combination (not that we termed it that way in those days) pulling up and down to and from the S&D line.

At Yeovil Jcn I struggled to remember - I think my down train arrived at the platform which is now out of use - then there was a railbus to Yeovil Town station parked either in what is today's platform 1 or another platform which was situated in today's car park.

Arrival was about 1 late. Train (09.20 ex Waterloo, Bristol portion at rear)was well filled, I thought, for off peak. I'd say 33-40% full from London.

I took the plus bus 68 into town, which worked very well. Of course, Yeovil Town station is long buried under some sort of sports hall or entertainment centre.

No time after what had to be done to visit Pen Mill.

Coming back, at about 15.10 I was surprised to see a SW Trains 2 car unit (158?) coming up from the Pen Mill link line, It went across towards the unused platform. (looks like a couple of holding sidings there) - stopped - and then promptly reversed from whence it had come. So why? route learning or some such? Is this for planned diversions?

I'm surprised they did not keep say, half a mile of double track west of Yeovil - can two HST units pass in the station if there are diversions for Paddington services?

15.29 departure arrived about 1 late. I could hear it had a flat tyre as soon as it appeared west of the station. It was terminated at Salisbury and we transferred to a 9 car (I think) train to Waterloo.

We made up time to Clapham Jcn, but were on yellows into Waterloo - arrival about 5 late.

Train was only about 25% full out of Yeovil, I'd say, but filled up quite a bit at Woking for some reason.

both trains very clean indeed - South West Trains did a good job there.

Stations en route were not so charming as in steam days, but still had some character - Templecombe especially - or maybe that's just me willing it so.

I saw no freight whatsoever west of Worting Jcn - which I guess is the reason why they do not need to re-double sections west of Salisbury.

A far cry from the days of Bulleids with 13 on, but I suppose it's much better than many imagined when plans were to sever the line at Sherborne.

PP
doctor teeth
2014-11-20 12:33:31 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
I took a trip from Waterloo to Yeovil Jcn and back yesterday.
Thanks PP
I travel from YJ into Waterloo 2-3 times a year, and I much prefer the
route into Waterloo to the alternative route into Paddington. I never
saw this line in steam days, but I agree that several stations retain a
charm, and I particularly like Sherborne, Salisbury and Andover.
dt

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ***@netfront.net ---
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2014-11-20 12:45:56 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
I took a trip from Waterloo to Yeovil Jcn and back yesterday.
Yesterday we certainly rattled along between Waterloo and Basingstoke - I guess the line speed is 100 mph, and these 159s can hit that no problem. There are actually some nice looking places - lakes/streams and stuff in this commuterland.
I think they are supposed to be limited to 90mph.
You missed the last of jointed track between Andover and Salisbury to
give the authentic Clickety Clack by a few months.
Post by p***@gmail.com
There was a section near Tidsbury where the up line seemed not to have been removed - so that appeared to be re-instatable relatively easily, if needs be.
Probably the bit from the closed station at Dinton which after the
Line was singled in the 1960's was transferred to the MOD and served
the ammunition dumps at Dinton and down the line at Chilmark till the
bases were closed in the mid 1990's. MOD Locos worked along the line
separately to the BR operation from the exchange sidings at Dinton.
Over the years they seem to have replaced some track as it looks to be
a lighter section. Both MOD sites had extensive narrow gauge layouts
till they closed. A lot of the narrow gauge track had just been
renewed before the MOD closed them but at least some of the preserved
NG lines got some inexpensive unworn rails out of this apparent waste
of taxpayers money. A small section lingered on in private quarry use
for a few years and amazingly the Google car caught the train in 2009.
http://goo.gl/maps/EiPe5
But when I last drove up about 18 months ago all appeared shutdown.

If you want explore on SWT again it is worth checking their Website
approaching School holidays, they often have some good fare reductions
during them.

G.Harman
p***@gmail.com
2014-11-24 09:53:09 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.co.uk
Post by p***@gmail.com
I took a trip from Waterloo to Yeovil Jcn and back yesterday.
Yesterday we certainly rattled along between Waterloo and Basingstoke - I guess the line speed is 100 mph, and these 159s can hit that no problem. There are actually some nice looking places - lakes/streams and stuff in this commuterland.
I think they are supposed to be limited to 90mph.
Interesting. You are probably right then. Difficult to judge speed without the rail joints - and the carriage movement is also totally different on air springs compared to Mk 1s and 2s that I am more used to.
Post by d***@yahoo.co.uk
You missed the last of jointed track between Andover and Salisbury to
give the authentic Clickety Clack by a few months.
<sigh> !
Post by d***@yahoo.co.uk
Post by p***@gmail.com
There was a section near Tidsbury where the up line seemed not to have been removed - so that appeared to be re-instatable relatively easily, if needs be.
Probably the bit from the closed station at Dinton which after the
Line was singled in the 1960's was transferred to the MOD and served
the ammunition dumps at Dinton and down the line at Chilmark till the
bases were closed in the mid 1990's.
Thanks for the info. So Network Rail would have to buy it back to double it, I suppose.
Post by d***@yahoo.co.uk
http://goo.gl/maps/EiPe5
But when I last drove up about 18 months ago all appeared shutdown.
If you want explore on SWT again it is worth checking their Website
approaching School holidays, they often have some good fare reductions
during them.
Thanks for the tip - but I don't live in the UK, so only there now and again.

(Mind, if it's such a good deal and I happen to be there, I might fulfill a dream and go to Exeter C just for the ride.)

I should add that the stock was probably the cleanest and best kept that I encountered on my trip last week. (that included SET, LM and EMT)

The SWT ticket inspectors/conductors were also very well-dressed and polite.

Thanks to all for comments/insights. PP
c***@yahoo.co.uk
2014-11-27 16:17:15 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.co.uk
Post by p***@gmail.com
I took a trip from Waterloo to Yeovil Jcn and back yesterday.
Yesterday we certainly rattled along between Waterloo and Basingstoke - I guess the line speed is 100 mph, and these 159s can hit that no problem. There are actually some nice looking places - lakes/streams and stuff in this commuterland.
I think they are supposed to be limited to 90mph.
You missed the last of jointed track between Andover and Salisbury to
give the authentic Clickety Clack by a few months.
The max speed for 159s is 90 mph. If you like jointed track then this video is worth a watch. Apologies if I've posted this before.

John
Hils
2014-11-20 14:26:33 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
I took a trip from Waterloo to Yeovil Jcn and back yesterday.
No time after what had to be done to visit Pen Mill.
Shame, it still has its own signal box at the end of the platform.
Post by p***@gmail.com
Coming back, at about 15.10 I was surprised to see a SW Trains 2 car
unit (158?) coming up from the Pen Mill link line, It went across
towards the unused platform. (looks like a couple of holding sidings
there) - stopped - and then promptly reversed from whence it had
come. So why? route learning or some such? Is this for planned
diversions?
FGW leases some SWT units, or at least it was doing so a year or so ago.

I travelled from Temple Meads to Waterloo and back last year by 159, IMO
it's a nicer trip than to Paddington by HST.

Thanks for the interesting report.
John Kenyon
2014-11-20 17:09:54 UTC
On 20/11/2014 11:27, ***@gmail.com wrote:
<SNIP>
Post by p***@gmail.com
No time after what had to be done to visit Pen Mill.
Coming back, at about 15.10 I was surprised to see a SW Trains 2 car unit (158?) coming up from the Pen Mill link line, It went across towards the unused platform. (looks like a couple of holding sidings there) - stopped - and then promptly reversed from whence it had come. So why? route learning or some such? Is this for planned diversions?
Looks like 5O33 Salisbury T&RSMD to Yeovil Junction

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W16375/2014/11/19/advanced

which looks like it trundles back the way it came (via Frome, Westbury &
Warminster):

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W16376/2014/11/19/advanced
G***@live.co.uk
I believe this is to retain drivers' route knowledge in the event of a diversion; these have run for some time.
p***@gmail.com
2014-11-27 08:47:09 UTC
Post by G***@live.co.uk
Post by John Kenyon
<SNIP>
Post by p***@gmail.com
No time after what had to be done to visit Pen Mill.
Coming back, at about 15.10 I was surprised to see a SW Trains 2 car unit (158?) coming up from the Pen Mill link line, It went across towards the unused platform. (looks like a couple of holding sidings there) - stopped - and then promptly reversed from whence it had come. So why? route learning or some such? Is this for planned diversions?
Looks like 5O33 Salisbury T&RSMD to Yeovil Junction
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W16375/2014/11/19/advanced
which looks like it trundles back the way it came (via Frome, Westbury &
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W16376/2014/11/19/advanced
I believe this is to retain drivers' route knowledge in the event of a diversion; these have run for some time.
I was so focused on the need for route knowledge for FGW crews that the penny has only just dropped here. (I think.)

You mean these trains are for SWT drivers and guards? ie if the line is closed between Yeovil Jcn and Salisbury, SWT diverts via Castle Cary and Westbury?

Does this actually happen when the LSW is blocked?

If so, why not run, say, two trains a day that way as part of a normal service? Even if only to Yeovil Jcn.

Of course, there would be a time penalty (anyone know how much? 30 mins?) but would give some v useful connections to/from Westbury for further travel.

Perhaps SWT fears it would lose more (ie passengers to FGW) than it would gain in return? PP
p***@gmail.com
Ah, thanks. You'd think if they ran it so often they might as well make it a service train.
p***@gmail.com
2015-12-06 14:43:16 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by John Kenyon
<SNIP>
Post by p***@gmail.com
No time after what had to be done to visit Pen Mill.
Coming back, at about 15.10 I was surprised to see a SW Trains 2 car unit (158?) coming up from the Pen Mill link line, It went across towards the unused platform. (looks like a couple of holding sidings there) - stopped - and then promptly reversed from whence it had come. So why? route learning or some such? Is this for planned diversions?
Looks like 5O33 Salisbury T&RSMD to Yeovil Junction
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W16375/2014/11/19/advanced
which looks like it trundles back the way it came (via Frome, Westbury &
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W16376/2014/11/19/advanced
Ah, thanks. You'd think if they ran it so often they might as well make it a service train.
Well, I wonder if anyone important was reading this? Just over a year when I wrote that, it seems to be coming true.

I did think there was going to be more Yeovil PM - Jcn trains, at least in the morning peak - at least I thought I'd read that.

There are none whatsoever.

Still, a few trains going via Westbury is an improvment.

PP

unknown
2014-11-20 17:43:29 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
I took a trip from Waterloo to Yeovil Jcn and back yesterday.
Thanks, interesting report partly because earlier this week I watched
a rather good DVD that covered some of this area. Called "Steaming
through Wessex" it features the work of Douglas Seaton from the 1940s
through to the 1960s. Douglas Seaton clearly had money to spend on
good equipment and film, the majority of shots show the complete
train. Plenty of un-rebuilt Pacifics in a number of liveries! Some of
the added sound is a bit odd but nevertheless highly recommended. Put
it on your Christmas list!
TimB
2014-11-27 04:35:15 UTC
I took a trip from Waterloo to Yeovil Jcn and back yesterday. [snip]
I had vague memories of Salisbury, the station seems quite like it was back then in terms of layout.
Then there were about 30 locos on shed - today, as far as I could make out - the shed area appears
obliterated - it looks like totally built over.
There's now a purpose-built shed at Salisbury for the 159s which as you say they do keep nice and clean!
Tisbury, not Tidsbury!
Tim
p***@gmail.com
2014-11-27 08:40:07 UTC
Post by TimB
I took a trip from Waterloo to Yeovil Jcn and back yesterday. [snip]
I had vague memories of Salisbury, the station seems quite like it was back then in terms of layout.
Then there were about 30 locos on shed - today, as far as I could make out - the shed area appears
obliterated - it looks like totally built over.
There's now a purpose-built shed at Salisbury for the 159s which as you say they do keep nice and clean!
Tisbury, not Tidsbury!
Tim
Yes, apologies to all offended Tisbirites.

re shed - I was, of course, referring to the old steam depot. Yes, I saw that there was a new (to me), large maintenance depot on the north sides of the line at Salisbury. Presumably this is for 158s and 159s?

But what exactly does SWT need the 2 car units for? Are these used on the more lightly loaded Exeter services - or are they intended for the Exeter-centred metro services? (I am not sure if this is just speculation or if it is going ahead.)
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2014-11-27 11:19:11 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
re shed - I was, of course, referring to the old steam depot. Yes, I saw that there was a new (to me), large maintenance depot on the north sides of the line at Salisbury. Presumably this is for 158s and 159s?
But what exactly does SWT need the 2 car units for?
At the moment the main use is on the Salisbury to Southampton service
which runs via salisbury and Chandlers Ford where the station was
reconstructed and reopened in 2003. They are also used on the
Lymington Branch which although electrified releases an EMU for use
elsewhere.
They also are run on the Salisbury services coupled to 159 units on
occasions.

Incidently SWT have this page on thier website which some may find
useful.
http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/our-trains.aspx

G.Harman
Neil Williams
2014-11-27 08:52:37 UTC
Post by TimB
There's now a purpose-built shed at Salisbury for the 159s which as you
say they do keep nice and clean!
One thing that can be said for all the Stagecoach TOCs (and London
Midland, for that matter) is that the stock is always spotless.

Neil
--
Neil Williams
Mizter T
2014-11-27 15:44:38 UTC
Post by Neil Williams
Post by TimB
There's now a purpose-built shed at Salisbury for the 159s which as
you say they do keep nice and clean!
One thing that can be said for all the Stagecoach TOCs (and London
Midland, for that matter) is that the stock is always spotless.
Not sure about that re EMT, and I was on a fairly dirty LM Desiro not so
long ago (which also featured fraying seat covers). I've been on SWT
trains which aren't spotless either.

Of course one can't put it all down to the TOC - enough passengers seem
unable to clear up after themselves.