London Midland Super Off Peak
Jim Tomas
2015-06-30 22:46:37 UTC
I bought a Super Off Peak Return ticket from Atherstone to Lichfield, the
return is valid for 30 days but I'm at a loss to understand when I can
actually use it.

This page claims to explain it but it doesn't really:

<http://www.londonmidland.com/tickets-and-fares/tickets-and-fares/off-
peak-tickets/#super>
Available on our longer distance journeys (generally more than 50
miles).

OK, it's more than 50 miles so good here
cheaper than Off-Peak tickets but have morning and evening peak
restrictions Monday - Saturday

Fair enough, what are they then?
The Super Off-Peak ticket restrictions apply on Mondays to Saturdays
and for tickets to/from London are as follows:

My _train_ will go to London but my ticket isn't to/from there so this
doesn't apply to me.
The Super Off-Peak ticket restrictions apply on Mondays to Saturdays
and for tickets to/from Liverpool/Birmingham New St are as follows:

I'm not going anywhere near these stations so this doesn't apply.

And that's it! It says there's restrictions but doesn't tell you what
they are unless you're going to London. Am I missing something here?
Mike Humphrey
2015-06-30 23:20:22 UTC
Post by Jim Tomas
I bought a Super Off Peak Return ticket from Atherstone to Lichfield, the
return is valid for 30 days but I'm at a loss to understand when I can
actually use it.
The ticket should have a restriction code (two letters or numbers) on
it. You can look it up on the national rail site:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/8a

Change 8a to the code you have. (If your code is 8a, the answer is
"whenever you like" - 8a tickets are valid at any time of day)

Mike
Jim Tomas
2015-07-02 22:42:22 UTC
Post by Mike Humphrey
The ticket should have a restriction code (two letters or numbers) on
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/8a
Change 8a to the code you have. (If your code is 8a, the answer is
"whenever you like" - 8a tickets are valid at any time of day)
Thanks, this is just what I needed. Question though, I also have an off
peak return ticket, code 'sk'. Does the applicable days (mon-fri) mean
the days there are restrictions, ie. can I use it on Sunday?
Roland Perry
2015-07-03 04:58:40 UTC
Post by Jim Tomas
Post by Mike Humphrey
The ticket should have a restriction code (two letters or numbers) on
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/8a
Change 8a to the code you have. (If your code is 8a, the answer is
"whenever you like" - 8a tickets are valid at any time of day)
Thanks, this is just what I needed. Question though, I also have an off
peak return ticket, code 'sk'. Does the applicable days (mon-fri) mean
the days there are restrictions, ie. can I use it on Sunday?
It means the restrictions only apply Mon-Fri, on Sat/Sun it's
unrestricted.
Roland Perry
Charlie Hulme
2015-07-03 07:12:59 UTC
Post by Jim Tomas
Post by Mike Humphrey
The ticket should have a restriction code (two letters or numbers) on
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/8a
Change 8a to the code you have. (If your code is 8a, the answer is
"whenever you like" - 8a tickets are valid at any time of day)
Thanks, this is just what I needed. Question though, I also have an off
peak return ticket, code 'sk'. Does the applicable days (mon-fri) mean
the days there are restrictions, ie. can I use it on Sunday?
Yes. It's the *restriction* that applies Mon-Fri. Saturdays and
Sundays you can use any train (although it may not be the
cheapest fare available on those days)

Charlie
--
North Wales Coast Railway Website:
www.nwrail.org.uk
Roland Perry
2015-07-01 07:54:11 UTC
Post by Jim Tomas
I bought a Super Off Peak Return ticket from Atherstone to Lichfield, the
return is valid for 30 days but I'm at a loss to understand when I can
actually use it.
<http://www.londonmidland.com/tickets-and-fares/tickets-and-fares/off-peak-tickets/#super>
Whereas this page:

<http://www.brfares.com/#new?orig_name=ATHERSTONE%20%28WARKS%29&dest_nam
e=LICHFIELD%20TRENT%20VALLEY&rlc_name=PUBLIC>

Doesn't have any period returns, let alone a Super Off Peak.

But you go on to mention London and "over 50 miles", so perhaps it's
this one:

http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=ATH&dest=EUS

Where the SSR is code LG, and the return is valid any time on a Sunday,
and Mon-Sat:

Not valid for travel on London
Midland services timed to
DEPART the origin station on
the ticket between 1630 and
1930 in either direction,
except on the 1902 Crewe to
Northampton service and on the
1846 Saturday service from
London Euston to stations
between Nuneaton and Crewe
inclusive.
Roland Perry
Andy
Atherstone to Lichfield, more than 50 miles????
BevanPrice
2015-07-01 11:23:12 UTC
Post by Andy
Post by Jim Tomas
I bought a Super Off Peak Return ticket from Atherstone to Lichfield, the
return is valid for 30 days but I'm at a loss to understand when I can
actually use it.
<http://www.londonmidland.com/tickets-and-fares/tickets-and-fares/off-
peak-tickets/#super>
Available on our longer distance journeys (generally more than 50
miles).
OK, it's more than 50 miles so good here
Atherstone to Lichfield, more than 50 miles????
13¾ miles according to the timetable.

Bevan
TimB
2015-07-01 14:10:23 UTC
I think the OP assumed the length of the train's journey, not his.
Tim
Roland Perry
2015-07-01 14:21:31 UTC
Post by TimB
I think the OP assumed the length of the train's journey, not his.
No, because that trip doesn't have any period returns, let alone a SSR.
Roland Perry
Jim Tomas
2015-07-01 16:18:56 UTC
Post by Andy
Post by Jim Tomas
OK, it's more than 50 miles so good here
Atherstone to Lichfield, more than 50 miles????
It can be if you fall asleep and miss your stop.