Most isolated station
Paul Weaver
2005-03-22 16:39:50 UTC
I was looking at my map of the railway and it occured to me that for
its size, Swindon station really is in the middle of nowhere. The
nearest station (by rail) to it is Kemble. Lockerbie is similarly
isolated, as is Ayr. Officially what's the station that is the
furthest away via from any other station?

Similarly what's the longest route, without doubling back along the
track, that you can travel without passing a station. I'd guess
northwards from Lockerbie, but is there somewhere else longer?
Occasionally people come out with figures like "26 miles and 10
chains", no idea where from.
Ian McMillan
2005-03-22 16:46:29 UTC
Post by Paul Weaver
I was looking at my map of the railway and it occured to me that for
its size, Swindon station really is in the middle of nowhere. The
nearest station (by rail) to it is Kemble. Lockerbie is similarly
isolated, as is Ayr. Officially what's the station that is the
furthest away via from any other station?
Ayr?!? Newton-on-Ayr station can't be much more than a mile away.
--
Ian McMillan
***@NOSPAMimcmillan.co.uk
Peter Masson
2005-03-22 18:33:10 UTC
Post by Paul Weaver
I was looking at my map of the railway and it occured to me that for
its size, Swindon station really is in the middle of nowhere. The
nearest station (by rail) to it is Kemble. Lockerbie is similarly
isolated, as is Ayr. Officially what's the station that is the
furthest away via from any other station?
The station that is at the greatest distance from any other station would
appear to be Stranraer - 26 miles from Barrhill. Berwick-upon-Tweed is 28.25
miles from Dunbar, and 32.25 miles from Alnmouth. However, it is only 21
miles from Chathill, although there's no service between the two. ISTR that
we established some time ago that the greatest distance between two stations
over which there is a passenger service is 65.25 miles between Lockerbie and
Kirknewton (although no trains between Edinburgh and Lockerbie actually call
at Kirknewton). I'm discounting Farningham Road to Calais (Frethun) via CTRL
and the Ashford avoiding line, and have used NR timetable distances - I'll
leave miles and chains up to Clive.

Peter
NR distances quoted
David Hansen
2005-03-22 18:53:51 UTC
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:33:10 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be "Peter
Post by Peter Masson
ISTR that
we established some time ago that the greatest distance between two stations
over which there is a passenger service is 65.25 miles between Lockerbie and
Kirknewton (although no trains between Edinburgh and Lockerbie actually call
at Kirknewton). I'm discounting Farningham Road to Calais (Frethun) via CTRL
and the Ashford avoiding line,
Though not the Carstairs avoiding line:-)
prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Paul Weaver
Stranraer Hardbour then, I knew it was somewhere arround there :p
Alasdair Mulhern

Alasdair
James Christie
2005-03-22 17:30:37 UTC
Post by Paul Weaver
I was looking at my map of the railway and it occured to me that for
its size, Swindon station really is in the middle of nowhere. The
nearest station (by rail) to it is Kemble. Lockerbie is similarly
isolated, as is Ayr. Officially what's the station that is the
furthest away via from any other station?
Similarly what's the longest route, without doubling back along the
track, that you can travel without passing a station. I'd guess
northwards from Lockerbie, but is there somewhere else longer?
Occasionally people come out with figures like "26 miles and 10
chains", no idea where from.
How about Invergowrie? I can't remember how close it is to Dundee
though.
--
Regards,

James Christie

"Luck is my middle name," he said, indistinctly.
"Mind you, my first name is Bad."
Mark Morton
2005-03-22 17:54:18 UTC
Post by Paul Weaver
I was looking at my map of the railway and it occured to me that for
its size, Swindon station really is in the middle of nowhere. The
nearest station (by rail) to it is Kemble. Lockerbie is similarly
isolated, as is Ayr. Officially what's the station that is the
furthest away via from any other station?
Similarly what's the longest route, without doubling back along the
track, that you can travel without passing a station. I'd guess
northwards from Lockerbie, but is there somewhere else longer?
Occasionally people come out with figures like "26 miles and 10
chains", no idea where from.
How about Invergowrie? I can't remember how close it is to Dundee though.
CORE - http://www.davros.org/rail/routeing-guide.html - says that
Lockerbie-Kirknewton (is that the next station towards Edinburgh?) is 64
miles 50 chains avoiding Carstairs

Dunbar to Berwick is 28 miles 35 chains. Invergowrie to Dundee is 3
miles 39 chains.
Niall Wallace
2005-03-22 19:25:36 UTC
How about Invergowrie? I can't remember how close it is to Dundee though.
About 5 Miles from Dundee (Tay Bridge)
Alan Osborn
2005-03-22 21:04:21 UTC
Post by Niall Wallace
How about Invergowrie? I can't remember how close it is to Dundee though.
About 5 Miles from Dundee (Tay Bridge)
Corrour,

Rannoch
Al
Bruce Fletcher
2005-03-23 20:16:00 UTC
Post by Alan Osborn
Post by Niall Wallace
How about Invergowrie? I can't remember how close it is to Dundee though.
About 5 Miles from Dundee (Tay Bridge)
Corrour,
Rannoch
Kinbrace or Forsinard?
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
<www.stronsay.co.uk/claremont>
Charlie Hulme
2005-03-22 18:36:21 UTC
Post by Paul Weaver
Similarly what's the longest route, without doubling back along the
track, that you can travel without passing a station. I'd guess
northwards from Lockerbie, but is there somewhere else longer?
Occasionally people come out with figures like "26 miles and 10
chains", no idea where from.
I have always thought Grantham to Peterborough, but that comes
from the Boy's Wonder Book of Trains so it may be out of date.

Ashford to Calais Frethun must be a contender.

Charlie
Mike Cawood, HND BIT
2005-03-22 23:41:32 UTC
Post by Paul Weaver
I was looking at my map of the railway and it occured to me that for
its size, Swindon station really is in the middle of nowhere. The
nearest station (by rail) to it is Kemble. Lockerbie is similarly
isolated, as is Ayr. Officially what's the station that is the
furthest away via from any other station?
Similarly what's the longest route, without doubling back along the
track, that you can travel without passing a station. I'd guess
northwards from Lockerbie, but is there somewhere else longer?
Occasionally people come out with figures like "26 miles and 10
chains", no idea where from.
Ayr Station isn't at all isolated, it's by (what was) Safeway's
supermarket within easy walking distance of the town centre, I know,
I've used Ayr station, and walked it from the town centre complete with
luggage.
I take it you do mean Ayr, Ayrshire, Scotland?
Regards Mike.
Alan Osborn
2005-03-25 17:26:34 UTC
Post by Paul Weaver
track, that you can travel without passing a station. I'd guess
northwards from Lockerbie,
You are correct I think it is 52 miles north from Lockerbie to Carstairs
If I recall if you are on an Edinburgh train you do not pass through
Carstairs platforms.
Al
Peter Masson
2005-03-26 17:10:08 UTC
Post by Alan Osborn
You are correct I think it is 52 miles north from Lockerbie to Carstairs
If I recall if you are on an Edinburgh train you do not pass through
Carstairs platforms.
Edinburgh trains take the curve from Strawwfrank Junction to Dolphinton
Junction, so don't go past Carstairs station at all.

Peter
Christopher A. Lee
2005-03-26 17:13:29 UTC
On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:10:08 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Masson"
Post by Peter Masson
Post by Alan Osborn
You are correct I think it is 52 miles north from Lockerbie to Carstairs
If I recall if you are on an Edinburgh train you do not pass through
Carstairs platforms.
Edinburgh trains take the curve from Strawwfrank Junction to Dolphinton
Junction, so don't go past Carstairs station at all.
When I used to travel from Manchester to Glasgow, it joined up with a
Liverpool portion at Preston, and split again at Carstairs with a
portion going to Edinburgh.
Peter
Neil Williams
2005-03-28 16:42:40 UTC
On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:13:29 -0500, Christopher A. Lee
Post by Christopher A. Lee
When I used to travel from Manchester to Glasgow, it joined up with a
Liverpool portion at Preston, and split again at Carstairs with a
portion going to Edinburgh.
Those services (no longer in operation) were an odd set of "through
coach" operations - the Manchester one ran from the Airport to Bolton
as a portion of a then-NWT Barrow/Windermere service, then alone to
Preston, then combined with the Liverpool as above.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain
'wensleydale' is a spam trap and is not read.
Mike Cawood, HND BIT
2005-03-22 23:44:06 UTC
Post by Paul Weaver
I was looking at my map of the railway and it occured to me that for
its size, Swindon station really is in the middle of nowhere. The
nearest station (by rail) to it is Kemble. Lockerbie is similarly
isolated, as is Ayr. Officially what's the station that is the
furthest away via from any other station?
Similarly what's the longest route, without doubling back along the
track, that you can travel without passing a station. I'd guess
northwards from Lockerbie, but is there somewhere else longer?
Occasionally people come out with figures like "26 miles and 10
chains", no idea where from.
Long since gone now, but Riccarton Junction Station on the old Waverley
Route was over a mile away from the nearest road, I believe.
Regards Mike.
Bill Ridgeway
2005-03-23 19:31:02 UTC
I would defines 'isolated' as being difficult to get to. There is one
station in Norfolk that has no road access and Dovey Junction is, similarly
without road access. Now that's what I call isolated.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Chris Tolley
2005-03-23 20:16:51 UTC
Dovey Junction is without road access. Now that's what I call isolated.
Yes it is. But as I was driving down the A487 the other week, I could
swear I passed a finger sign pointing to it. Now that's very odd,
because the station is about 800m off the road, and at least on the
1:25000 map, there is no indicated footpath.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p12846287.html
(156 466 arriving at Plumley instead of the usual Pacer - 18 Mar 2005)
D7666
2005-03-23 20:53:44 UTC
Post by Chris Tolley
Dovey Junction is without road access. Now that's what I call isolated.
, there is no indicated footpath.
There is a foot path. Been there, done it.

Nick
Charlie Hulme
2005-03-23 20:59:41 UTC
Post by Chris Tolley
Dovey Junction is without road access. Now that's what I call isolated.
Yes it is. But as I was driving down the A487 the other week, I could
swear I passed a finger sign pointing to it. Now that's very odd,
because the station is about 800m off the road, and at least on the
1:25000 map, there is no indicated footpath.
Wales and Borders Trains put that sign there: it's not a *public*
footpath, but it is a well-defined track alongside the line, no doubt
also used by the road vehicles belonging to rail maintenance staff at
times. The station building of the closed Glandyfi station is now a
house, right by where the track begins.

Dovey Junction is handy for the RSPB reserve and the Country House
Hotel at Ynys Hir, although the walk along the pevement-less
A487 is off-putting.

Middlewood station is also reached only by footpath - funny how
often this subject comes up!

Charlie
mutley
2005-03-23 21:44:13 UTC
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:59:41 GMT, Charlie Hulme
Post by Charlie Hulme
Dovey Junction is handy for the RSPB reserve and the Country House
Hotel at Ynys Hir, although the walk along the pevement-less
A487 is off-putting.
Middlewood station is also reached only by footpath - funny how
often this subject comes up!
How far would a station have to be from a road before it can be
classed as only being reached by a footpath I wonder?

Technically, Filton Abbey Wood in Bristol can only be reached by
footpaths. The car park and nearest road is 'nearbye' but far enough
to be a slog for the disabled or anyone carrying much luggage. (not
helped by the fact that since the station was rebuilt Network Rail
have decided to dump tons of ballast in the brand new disabled car
parking spaces.

Pete
--
http://www.bristol-rail.co.uk an archive of photos from the Bristol area
http://www.bugpics.co.uk pics of bugs
Flying Rat
2005-03-23 21:57:07 UTC
In article <1Nk0e.514$***@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net>, Charlie Hulme
says...
Post by Charlie Hulme
Post by Chris Tolley
[...]
what about that station on the Manchester Metrolink (Cornbrook IIRC)
that can only be accessed by tram? No other possible way of entering the
station for passengers.

Using the definition of 'isolated' discussed here that has to be the
most isolated as it is only accessible via the services that stop there

FR
Mark Morton
2005-03-23 22:10:53 UTC
Post by Flying Rat
what about that station on the Manchester Metrolink (Cornbrook IIRC)
that can only be accessed by tram? No other possible way of entering the
station for passengers.
Using the definition of 'isolated' discussed here that has to be the
most isolated as it is only accessible via the services that stop there
What about British Steel Redcar and Lympstone Commando? Aren't they
both only accessible by people who have business there?
Peter Masson
2005-03-23 22:40:17 UTC
Post by Mark Morton
What about British Steel Redcar and Lympstone Commando? Aren't they
both only accessible by people who have business there?
Also I.B.M. You could, I suppose, make a case for Battersea Pier Staff
Halt, which must be about the smallest station on National Rail.

Peter
Paul Weaver
2005-03-24 20:01:48 UTC
Post by Peter Masson
Post by Mark Morton
What about British Steel Redcar and Lympstone Commando? Aren't they
both only accessible by people who have business there?
Also I.B.M. You could, I suppose, make a case for Battersea Pier Staff
Halt, which must be about the smallest station on National Rail.
It's not on my map, whereas IBM, BS Redcar and Lympstone are. Not on
live departure boards either, so I guess it's not really on the network
any more than Didcot Railway Museum station
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.
D7666
2005-03-23 22:08:52 UTC
So they may have done, but certainly back in the days of 25s down there
there was a road sign type sign indicating the path.
Post by Charlie Hulme
a well-defined track alongside the line, no doubt
also used by the road vehicles belonging to rail maintenance staff at
times.
That is not how I recall it. I doubt you would have got a road vehicle
down the path I am thinking of - but this is 20 years ago now and a lot
will have changed.

Nick
Tony Polson
2005-03-23 22:14:03 UTC
Post by Chris Tolley
Dovey Junction is without road access. Now that's what I call isolated.
Yes it is. But as I was driving down the A487 the other week, I could
swear I passed a finger sign pointing to it. Now that's very odd,
because the station is about 800m off the road, and at least on the
1:25000 map, there is no indicated footpath.
I spotted the same sign last August, while holidaying there.

I recall there is a rough track from the A487, which forms a footpath,
but you could probably traverse it on a quad bike or small tractor.
It ends short of the station, on the opposite side of the Aberystwyth
line from the station platform.
Ian Johnston
2005-03-25 16:06:46 UTC
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:14:03 UTC, Tony Polson <***@nospam.net> wrote:

: Chris Tolley <***@supanet.com> wrote:

: >Yes it is. But as I was driving down the A487 the other week, I could
: >swear I passed a finger sign pointing to it. Now that's very odd,
: >because the station is about 800m off the road, and at least on the
: >1:25000 map, there is no indicated footpath.
:
: I spotted the same sign last August, while holidaying there.

There is a station car park just off the main road and a footpath to
the station.

Ian
d***@my-deja.com
2005-03-24 09:43:53 UTC
Fishguard (from Whitland) must be a runner up
Peter Masson
2005-03-24 10:45:05 UTC
Post by d***@my-deja.com
Fishguard (from Whitland) must be a runner up
27.75 miles. However, according to the NRT, the night trains now call at
Clarbeston Road on request, and Fishguard to Clarbeston Road is 15.75 miles
(so no competition with Berwick-upon-Tweed or Stranraer.

Peter
Manchardley de lWmprad
2005-03-23 22:45:24 UTC
Post by Bill Ridgeway
I would defines 'isolated' as being difficult to get to. There is one
station in Norfolk that has no road access and Dovey Junction is, similarly
Berney Arms. It is a very long walk from a road, but at least when I was
last there (albeit some time ago) the pub (guess what it is called) was
open. Therefore, the station is a long way from a road, but who cares?

Corrour: now, that *is* isolated.

Paul Mitchelmore
2005-03-24 21:31:29 UTC
The remote Norfolk station is Berney Arms reputedly 2 miles from the nearest
road, which I guess could be the A47, at 0m AOD claimed to be the lowest
lying trunk road in England. Anyway, the station serves a pub and a wind
pump, and has its own web site www.berneyarms.co.uk

Happy Easter

Paul
Bill Ridgeway
David Jackson
2005-03-24 22:00:58 UTC
Post by Paul Mitchelmore
The remote Norfolk station is Berney Arms reputedly 2 miles from the nearest
road,
I thought you were talking about "isolated"? 2 miles doesn't come close
to being isolated.

Have a look at Altnabreac station on the OS map.
--
Dave,
Frodsham
Jim
2005-03-24 23:32:49 UTC
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:31:02 -0000, "Bill Ridgeway"
Post by Bill Ridgeway
I would defines 'isolated' as being difficult to get to. There is one
station in Norfolk that has no road access and Dovey Junction is, similarly
without road access. Now that's what I call isolated.
Well Corrour certainly fits that description!

Effectively no vehicular access, with 10+ miles of Land Rover only
tracks off the A86 somewhere near Tulloch Station!

Jim
Jim
2005-03-24 23:29:07 UTC
How about Corrour?

It's certainly isolated in terms of remoteness from anywhere and
effectively no vehicular access (10+ miles of Land Rover only tracks).

Jim
Paul Weaver
2005-03-25 01:13:34 UTC
Post by Jim
How about Corrour?
It's certainly isolated in terms of remoteness from anywhere and
effectively no vehicular access (10+ miles of Land Rover only tracks).
But only 7 1/4 miles from Rannock station.

I was thinking of isolated from other stations rather than from anywhere
else (Altnabreac a clear contender for the crown in that department!).
Swindon strikes me as being isolated (almost 14 miles form Kemble) for
such a large town. Stranrarr of course is 25.6 miles from Barrhill,
although only 7.3 miles from "Challoch Junction".

Lockerbie is the winner at 25.8 miles from Carlisle, although much nearer
to Gretna Green if reversing is allowed, and not to far from Dumfries as
the crow flies.

Stranrear given no reversing 25.6 miles.

Berwisk upon Tweed at almost 21 miles from Chathill is the winner for
England.

Okehampton is winner for the south, 14.4 miles. Of course that's not
really a station.

Swindon at 13.7 miles from Kemble is just pipped by Hereford at 13.74
miles - 3 chains furthur for the title of Most isolated south station.

Wales is surprisingly populated, Aside from Fishguard - Clarbeston road at
15.7 miles, Abergavenny is next - 9.5 miles from Pontypool.

As for longest stretch without a station, Grantham to Peterborough is 29.1
miles. That's drawfed by Lockerbie to Kirknewton - 64.5 miles, and beated
in England by Oxenholme - Penrith (32.1 miles) in the north, and Pewsey to
Bruton (avoiding Frome and Westbury) at 36.4 miles in the south.

At the other end of the scale, City Thameslink is only 1/4 mile from
Blackfriars, Moorfields is less than 1/3 mile from St James, Morgate is
3 furlongs from Liverpool Street (alhough only via the circle line!), and
Newhaven Town to Newhaven Harbour is the same distance. I count 542
connections between stations that are less then 1 miles apart, from a
database of 2,500. By comparrison only 125 are more then 10 miles apart,
although that doesn't include certain Junctions (its that list posted
elsewhere in this thread run through a perl script)
--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.