Exmouth - Cleethorpes
c***@yahoo.co.uk
2006-01-30 14:40:49 UTC
I have posted this enquiry on other groups, so apologies if you have
read this before.

On Ivo Peters S&D Vol2 video, there is a sequence of a 7F 2-8-0
climbing to Masbury on an Exmouth to Cleethorpes working.

What I would like to know (if possible) is,

Which years did this service operate?

Did the SR stock work through to Cleethorpes?

What route did the train take north of Birmingham?

Thanks,

Crazyhorse
John Ruddy
2006-01-30 16:49:35 UTC
Post by c***@yahoo.co.uk
I have posted this enquiry on other groups, so apologies if you have
read this before.
On Ivo Peters S&D Vol2 video, there is a sequence of a 7F 2-8-0
climbing to Masbury on an Exmouth to Cleethorpes working.
What I would like to know (if possible) is,
Which years did this service operate?
1960, 61 & 62
Post by c***@yahoo.co.uk
Did the SR stock work through to Cleethorpes?
Yes, and the NE stock worked through to Exmouth and Sidmouth (the train
divided at Sidmouth Junction.
Post by c***@yahoo.co.uk
What route did the train take north of Birmingham?
Not sure, I'm a SR man!
Post by c***@yahoo.co.uk
Thanks,
Crazyhorse
Joyce Whitchurch
2006-01-31 00:34:28 UTC
Post by John Ruddy
Post by c***@yahoo.co.uk
On Ivo Peters S&D Vol2 video, there is a sequence of a 7F 2-8-0
climbing to Masbury on an Exmouth to Cleethorpes working.
What route did the train take north of Birmingham?
Not sure, I'm a SR man!
And I'm an LMR clock, but fortunately I've still got my 1961 timetable
and this train features in Table 8 - Through Train Service between
Cleethorpes, Nottingham, Leicester, Birmingham and Axminster (for Lyme
Regis), Seaton Junction (for Seaton), Sidmouth, Budleigh Salterton,
Exmouth via Bath Green Park. Saturdays Only. Commences 1st July.

It left Cleethorpes at 7.00 a.m. and called at Grimsby Docks, Grimsby
Town, Habrough, Barnetby, Market Rasen, Lincoln St Mark's, Newark
Castle, Fiskerton, Nottingham Midland, Trent, Loughborough Midland,
Leicester London Road, Hinckley, Nuneaton Abbey Street and Birmingham
New Street, leaving there at 11.36 a.m. From there it called at
Cheltenham Spa Lansdown, Gloucester Eastgate, Bath Green Park,
Evercreech Junction, Templecombe, Axminster, Seaton Junction, Sidmouth
Junction, Sidmouth, East Budleigh, Budleigh Salterton, Littleham and
arrived in Exmouth at 5.40 p.m.

The route back was virtually the same: departure from Exmouth at 10.42
a.m., arrival in Birmingham New Street at 4.44 p.m. and arrival in
Cleethorpes at 9.31 p.m. The main difference that I can see was that the
return trip missed out Cheltenham - you had to change at Gloucester. And
it served Healing, which outbound meant a change at Habrough.

No sign of any kind of refreshment service on this train, so I expect
Messrs Thermos did a roaring trade. Perhaps British Transport Catering
Services sold a few Compakt Meal Boxes -
Joyce Whitchurch, Stalybridge, UK
=================================
Visit "Joyce's World of Transport Eclectica" -
<http://www.btinternet.com/~joyce.whitchurch/>
c***@yahoo.co.uk
2006-01-31 09:26:55 UTC
Post by Joyce Whitchurch
<http://www.joyce.whitchurch.btinternet.co.uk/food1.jpg>.
Thanks very much. That is excellent.
Andy Kirkham
2006-01-31 09:33:56 UTC
Post by Joyce Whitchurch
Post by John Ruddy
Post by c***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
I wonder how many tickets were sold for the complete journey Exemouth
to Cleethorpes or v.v. during the three years of the train's existence.

Andy
Joyce Whitchurch
2006-01-31 20:20:08 UTC
Post by Andy Kirkham
I wonder how many tickets were sold for the complete journey Exemouth
to Cleethorpes or v.v. during the three years of the train's existence.
Probably not enough to satisfy Dr Beeching. This was a classic example
of a pre-Beeching summer special, running at best for 10 Saturdays and
yet requiring two rakes of carriages. And probably 3 locos and crews.

What I want to know is the ratio of Devonians who spent their holidays
in Cleethorpes to Lincolnshire folk who spent their holidays in Exmouth.
John Ruddy
2006-01-31 20:52:41 UTC
Post by Joyce Whitchurch
Post by Andy Kirkham
I wonder how many tickets were sold for the complete journey Exemouth
to Cleethorpes or v.v. during the three years of the train's existence.
Probably not enough to satisfy Dr Beeching. This was a classic example
of a pre-Beeching summer special, running at best for 10 Saturdays and
yet requiring two rakes of carriages. And probably 3 locos and crews.
What I want to know is the ratio of Devonians who spent their holidays
in Cleethorpes to Lincolnshire folk who spent their holidays in Exmouth.
Perhaps it was the combination of a Cleethorpes-Birmingham service with
a Birmingham-Exmouth/Sidmouth service?
Joyce Whitchurch
2006-02-01 00:21:06 UTC
Post by John Ruddy
Perhaps it was the combination of a Cleethorpes-Birmingham service with
a Birmingham-Exmouth/Sidmouth service?
You may be right. There is a Saturdays Only service from Cleethorpes to
Birmingham New Street during the month of June, running in the same
path. If I had time, I might find an equivalent path south of New Street
for a separate train. But it stil seems to be SO rather than EWD.
John Ruddy
2006-02-01 10:11:00 UTC
Post by Joyce Whitchurch
Post by John Ruddy
Perhaps it was the combination of a Cleethorpes-Birmingham service with
a Birmingham-Exmouth/Sidmouth service?
You may be right. There is a Saturdays Only service from Cleethorpes to
Birmingham New Street during the month of June, running in the same
path. If I had time, I might find an equivalent path south of New Street
for a separate train. But it stil seems to be SO rather than EWD.
There wasn't one to Exmouth/Sidmouth, but then that service had
previously run to Bournemouth over the S&D.
Ross
2006-01-31 20:56:04 UTC
On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 00:34:28 +0000 (UTC), Joyce Whitchurch wrote in
<***@btinternet.com>, seen in uk.railway:

[...]
Post by Joyce Whitchurch
it served Healing, which outbound meant a change at Habrough.
Gods alone knows why; it's a tiny place.

It's a bit like having a Liverpool - Harwich boat train calling at
Manea...
--
Ross, in Lincoln, most likely being cynical or sarcastic, as ever.
Reply-to will bounce. Replace the junk-trap with my name to e-mail me.

Demonstration of poor photography at <http://ross.photobook.org.uk>
AD: <http://www.merciacharters.co.uk> for European charters occasionally gripped by me
Ianigsy
2006-01-31 22:47:04 UTC
It's mentioned in my Oakwood Press book on the Sidmouth and Budleigh
Salterton branches- apparently prior to 1960 the through working over
the S&D had gone to Bournemouth but was switched to Sidmouth and
Exmouth. As Cleethorpes itself was quite a resort at the time
(especially for East Midlanders) it was probably considered a sensible
way of using the same stock to handle two flows.
Chris Tolley
2006-02-01 00:13:15 UTC
Post by Joyce Whitchurch
it served Healing, which outbound meant a change at Habrough.
Gods alone knows why; it's a tiny place.
It's a bit like having a Liverpool - Harwich boat train calling at
Manea...
But if they didn't, then where would you eject miscreants...
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13309772.html
(31 230 and 31 209 at London Paddington, 16 May 1981)
Ross
2006-02-01 21:05:23 UTC
Post by Joyce Whitchurch
it served Healing, which outbound meant a change at Habrough.
Gods alone knows why; it's a tiny place.
It's a bit like having a Liverpool - Harwich boat train calling at
Manea...
But if they didn't, then where would you eject miscreants...
We don't serve Healing, and therefore it's not a location for
ejection. Besides, dealing with passengers is a guard's problem, and
it's a while since I was one of those critters.

Chris Tolley
2006-02-02 01:53:01 UTC
Post by Chris Tolley
Post by Ross
It's a bit like having a Liverpool - Harwich boat train calling at
Manea...
But if they didn't, then where would you eject miscreants...
We don't serve Healing, and therefore it's not a location for
ejection. Besides, dealing with passengers is a guard's problem, and
it's a while since I was one of those critters.
wires crossed here - its just that ISTR you suggesting that Manea was a
good place to drop miscreants off in the days when you were (and IIRC,
there wasn't necessarily a suggestion that he train would be stopping
there) ;-)
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683855.html
(159 019 at Basingstoke, 26 Jan 1999)