Present day long DMU trains
D7666
2003-12-28 21:42:17 UTC
My annual xmas period travel takes me on 159s Waterloo - Salisbury -
Exeter. One leg Waterloo to Salisbury this year was 3x159 i.e. 9 cars.

I know this is not unusual, SWT always has had such workings, there
are a few every day, including Sundays.

My question is, from are these the longest *regular* booked DMU trains
in *current* UK rail operations, apart from any FGW VXC 180 220 221
trains that is ?

Comedians please note by 'long DMU' I am asking about the physical
length of the train, not the length of the service in time or
distance.

Nick
Nick Lawford
2003-12-28 23:26:05 UTC
Post by D7666
My annual xmas period travel takes me on 159s Waterloo - Salisbury -
Exeter. One leg Waterloo to Salisbury this year was 3x159 i.e. 9 cars.
I know this is not unusual, SWT always has had such workings, there
are a few every day, including Sundays.
My question is, from are these the longest *regular* booked DMU trains
in *current* UK rail operations, apart from any FGW VXC 180 220 221
trains that is ?
Comedians please note by 'long DMU' I am asking about the physical
length of the train, not the length of the service in time or
distance.
Someone will now surely put HSt in as an answer.

Perhaps should have written DMU for this question to me non high speed
sub 101 mph DMU.

--
Nick
Alan Norris
2003-12-29 00:12:04 UTC
Post by D7666
My annual xmas period travel takes me on 159s Waterloo - Salisbury -
Exeter. One leg Waterloo to Salisbury this year was 3x159 i.e. 9 cars.
I know this is not unusual, SWT always has had such workings, there
are a few every day, including Sundays.
My question is, from are these the longest *regular* booked DMU trains
in *current* UK rail operations, apart from any FGW VXC 180 220 221
trains that is ?
Comedians please note by 'long DMU' I am asking about the physical
length of the train, not the length of the service in time or
distance.
Well, up in Scotland the longest at present is I think 6 cars (2x170)

Alan

Don't reply to this e-mail address - messages will be deleted unread. To reply to me take away the news and substitute alanc
roger.marks
2003-12-29 00:26:54 UTC
Post by D7666
My annual xmas period travel takes me on 159s Waterloo - Salisbury -
Exeter. One leg Waterloo to Salisbury this year was 3x159 i.e. 9 cars.
I know this is not unusual, SWT always has had such workings, there
are a few every day, including Sundays.
My question is, from are these the longest *regular* booked DMU trains
in *current* UK rail operations, apart from any FGW VXC 180 220 221
trains that is ?
Comedians please note by 'long DMU' I am asking about the physical
length of the train, not the length of the service in time or
distance.
I don't know about passenger workings but there used to be a daily 12 car
165 empty stock working between Princes Risborough and Aylesbury in the
evenings. 12 cars by the way is the maximum train length for 165s and 168s.
"GreenArrow"
2003-12-29 02:23:00 UTC
Post by Alan Norris
Post by D7666
My annual xmas period travel takes me on 159s Waterloo - Salisbury -
Exeter. One leg Waterloo to Salisbury this year was 3x159 i.e. 9 cars.
I know this is not unusual, SWT always has had such workings, there
are a few every day, including Sundays.
My question is, from are these the longest *regular* booked DMU trains
in *current* UK rail operations, apart from any FGW VXC 180 220 221
trains that is ?
Comedians please note by 'long DMU' I am asking about the physical
length of the train, not the length of the service in time or
distance.
Well, up in Scotland the longest at present is I think 6 cars (2x170)
Alan
Didn't Scotrail run an 8-car football special from Dundee to Glasgow earlier
this year? Something like 2x158 + 2x150?

GreenArrow
Jon Porter
2003-12-29 02:52:14 UTC
Post by roger.marks
Post by D7666
My annual xmas period travel takes me on 159s Waterloo - Salisbury -
Exeter. One leg Waterloo to Salisbury this year was 3x159 i.e. 9 cars.
I know this is not unusual, SWT always has had such workings, there
are a few every day, including Sundays.
My question is, from are these the longest *regular* booked DMU trains
in *current* UK rail operations, apart from any FGW VXC 180 220 221
trains that is ?
Comedians please note by 'long DMU' I am asking about the physical
length of the train, not the length of the service in time or
distance.
I don't know about passenger workings but there used to be a daily 12 car
165 empty stock working between Princes Risborough and Aylesbury in the
evenings. 12 cars by the way is the maximum train length for 165s and 168s.
I saw a 20 vehicle working on Friday 19th December, only about 100
passengers on board. Caused quite a stir among the few hardy platform enders
who saw it. But having just seen the third paragraph it won't count!
Marcus Kerr
2003-12-29 09:38:28 UTC
Post by Alan Norris
Post by D7666
My annual xmas period travel takes me on 159s Waterloo - Salisbury -
Exeter. One leg Waterloo to Salisbury this year was 3x159 i.e. 9 cars.
I know this is not unusual, SWT always has had such workings, there
are a few every day, including Sundays.
My question is, from are these the longest *regular* booked DMU trains
in *current* UK rail operations, apart from any FGW VXC 180 220 221
trains that is ?
Well, up in Scotland the longest at present is I think 6 cars (2x170)
Alan
There are two early morning ECS workings in Scotland that comprise 4 x
Class 156s from Corkerhill to Glasgow Central, Monday to Friday
The top-end unit then returns to Corkerhill, returnign with a further
3 x Class 156 units, effectively leaving 7 units in the station,
eventually forming 3 sets of 2 units, and 1 single set
All the pairs then work on East Kilbride and Kilmarnock, while the
single set works on Whifflet

In general public passenger service the maximum DMU permitted in
Scotland is currently 4 units, but the longest of the diagrams are for
2 x Class 170s

The maximum operational length permitted is up to 5 units
Nathan
2003-12-29 11:12:46 UTC
Post by D7666
My question is, from are these the longest *regular* booked DMU trains
in *current* UK rail operations, apart from any FGW VXC 180 220 221
trains that is ?
I saw many a 09:51 ?[1] train from Leicester to Lincoln formed of 7-9
coaches (most I saw was a 3 car 170, a 2 car 170, a 2 car 158 and a 156) but
the norm was 153, 156 and then 2 either 158 or 170's, although I saw 150's
occasionally, and I remeber seeing a long formation on this train everytime
I waited for the 10:07 ? to Brum... was always interesting to see.
--
Nathan

[1] Sorry for the sketchy times, I haven't travelled from Leicester for a
good few months
J Houston
2003-12-29 11:55:52 UTC
Post by Marcus Kerr
There are two early morning ECS workings in Scotland that comprise 4 x
Class 156s from Corkerhill to Glasgow Central, Monday to Friday
The top-end unit then returns to Corkerhill, returnign with a further
3 x Class 156 units, effectively leaving 7 units in the station,
eventually forming 3 sets of 2 units, and 1 single set
All the pairs then work on East Kilbride and Kilmarnock, while the
single set works on Whifflet
In general public passenger service the maximum DMU permitted in
Scotland is currently 4 units, but the longest of the diagrams are for
2 x Class 170s
Also, earlier this year I was on a Glasgow QS to Edinburgh train
which was made up of 3 x Class 158's.

James H
David Hansen
2003-12-29 12:24:53 UTC
On 29 Dec 2003 01:38:28 -0800 someone who may be
Post by Marcus Kerr
There are two early morning ECS workings in Scotland that comprise 4 x
Class 156s from Corkerhill to Glasgow Central, Monday to Friday
One can see empty trains of similar length between Waverley station
and Haymarket depot. They are formed of any variety of modern DMU in
any order.
prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Tom Cumming
2003-12-29 12:51:17 UTC
I would suggest 2 5-car voyagers, but strictly speaking they're
DEMUs, and working in multiple is not particularly regular for them.
MIG
2003-12-29 16:19:28 UTC
I'm pretty sure Anglia Railways has regular 9-coach DMU trains made of
170s on the London to Ipswich and Norwich route (some bits then able
to break off and provide a direct service to the branch lines).
Nick Lawford
2003-12-29 21:16:10 UTC
Post by D7666
My question is, from are these the longest *regular* booked DMU trains
in *current* UK rail operations, apart from any FGW VXC 180 220 221
trains that is ?
Ty for responses.

Reading all of them so far, it seems 8 or 9 cars of 3x3 or 4x2 or
similar is a sort of 'maximum permitted' for passengers which I suppose
is pretty obviously platform length related.

--
Nick
gwr4090
2003-12-29 22:55:04 UTC
Post by Jon Porter
Post by D7666
My question is, from are these the longest *regular* booked DMU
trains in *current* UK rail operations, apart from any FGW VXC 180
220 221 trains that is ?
I saw a 20 vehicle working on Friday 19th December, only about 100
passengers on board. Caused quite a stir among the few hardy platform
enders who saw it. But having just seen the third paragraph it won't
count!
4 x Class 180 or 4 x Class 221 ?

David
Marcus Kerr
2003-12-29 23:14:17 UTC
Marcus Kerr wrote this:-
Post by David Hansen
Post by Marcus Kerr
There are two early morning ECS workings in Scotland that comprise 4 x
Class 156s from Corkerhill to Glasgow Central, Monday to Friday
One can see empty trains of similar length between Waverley station
and Haymarket depot. They are formed of any variety of modern DMU in
any order.
Its a few months now since I've observed overnight ECS working between
Edinburgh and HA, but a similar process applies except that there are
no return ECS workings as the staff travel between Edinburgh and HA by
taxi
There is also a restriction on operational train length entering the
depot, which used to be 4 x 2-car units, but this has been relaxed to
a total of 9-cars now to allow up 3 x Class 170 units to access the
depot
Jon Porter
2003-12-30 00:26:39 UTC
Post by gwr4090
Post by Jon Porter
Post by D7666
My question is, from are these the longest *regular* booked DMU
trains in *current* UK rail operations, apart from any FGW VXC 180
220 221 trains that is ?
I saw a 20 vehicle working on Friday 19th December, only about 100
passengers on board. Caused quite a stir among the few hardy platform
enders who saw it. But having just seen the third paragraph it won't
count!
4 x Class 180 or 4 x Class 221 ?
David
Two HST's coupled together. Well it was the Friday before Christmas and
services were busy.....
"GreenArrow"
2003-12-30 01:12:21 UTC
Post by Nick Lawford
Post by D7666
My question is, from are these the longest *regular* booked DMU trains
in *current* UK rail operations, apart from any FGW VXC 180 220 221
trains that is ?
Ty for responses.
Reading all of them so far, it seems 8 or 9 cars of 3x3 or 4x2 or
similar is a sort of 'maximum permitted' for passengers which I suppose
is pretty obviously platform length related.
--
Nick
ISTR an 11-car mixed set running ECS northbound on the ECML passing the
Sidings Hotel at York in the early evening when I stayed there a few years
ago. IIRC the formation was 2x142 + 3-car 158 + 2-car 158 + 2x153.

I suspect this would have been a York (or Neville Hill?) to Heaton ECS move?
Also it may only have had one 142 on the front so may only have been a
9-car. Bet the driver wasn't chuffed at the 142 being on the front!

HTH

GreenArrow
Graeme Wall
2003-12-30 18:06:27 UTC
Post by Nick Lawford
Post by D7666
My annual xmas period travel takes me on 159s Waterloo - Salisbury -
Exeter. One leg Waterloo to Salisbury this year was 3x159 i.e. 9 cars.
I know this is not unusual, SWT always has had such workings, there
are a few every day, including Sundays.
My question is, from are these the longest *regular* booked DMU trains
in *current* UK rail operations, apart from any FGW VXC 180 220 221
trains that is ?
Comedians please note by 'long DMU' I am asking about the physical
length of the train, not the length of the service in time or
distance.
Someone will now surely put HSt in as an answer.
Cue mega-thread on whether HSTs are DMUs or not!

2 five-car Voyagers possibly?
--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.
Transport Miscellany at <http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail/index.html>
Graeme Wall
2003-12-30 18:06:30 UTC
Post by Tom Cumming
I would suggest 2 5-car voyagers, but strictly speaking they're
DEMUs, and working in multiple is not particularly regular for them.
I'm sure multiple sets work through Southampton regularly, but possibly 4 car
units
gwr4090
2003-12-30 20:55:34 UTC
Post by Tom Cumming
I would suggest 2 5-car voyagers, but strictly speaking they're
DEMUs, and working in multiple is not particularly regular for them.
Pairs of 5 car Adelante dmus are regularly diagrammed on peak services I
believe.

David

Page 1 of 7