Nexus units = GWR possibility?
Graham Harrison
2016-07-20 11:48:05 UTC
MR has an item about the Newcatsle metro needing new units. The
suggestion is that new units witll be procured which will be both 1500
v dc and 25000 v ac compatible and also crash standards will be to NR
levels.

Would such a unit provide a solution to the London area GWR branches -
particularly Marlow?
Recliner
2016-07-20 12:50:03 UTC
On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 12:48:05 +0100, Graham Harrison
Post by Graham Harrison
MR has an item about the Newcatsle metro needing new units. The
suggestion is that new units witll be procured which will be both 1500
v dc and 25000 v ac compatible and also crash standards will be to NR
levels.
Would such a unit provide a solution to the London area GWR branches -
particularly Marlow?
I'm not sure of the relevance of these units for GWR branches? If
they're electrified, why not use normal short GWR EMUs?
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2016-07-20 17:45:58 UTC
Post by Graham Harrison
MR has an item about the Newcatsle metro needing new units. The
suggestion is that new units witll be procured which will be both 1500
v dc and 25000 v ac compatible and also crash standards will be to NR
levels.
Would such a unit provide a solution to the London area GWR branches -
particularly Marlow?
I'm not sure of the relevance of these units for GWR branches? If
they're electrified, why not use normal short GWR EMUs?
Because some of the branches can only take 2-car units, and no 25kV EMUs
produced since about 1970 have been less than 3-car. Building a batch of a
handful of special 2-car units would be prohibitively expensive, so one
suggestion was to leave a diesel island instead. However if there's a batch
of short, NR-spec 25kV units are being built for use elsewhere, a tag-on
order becomes feasible.

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Charles Ellson
2016-07-20 18:32:09 UTC
Post by Graham Harrison
MR has an item about the Newcatsle metro needing new units. The
suggestion is that new units witll be procured which will be both 1500
v dc and 25000 v ac compatible and also crash standards will be to NR
levels.
Would such a unit provide a solution to the London area GWR branches -
particularly Marlow?
I'm not sure of the relevance of these units for GWR branches? If
they're electrified, why not use normal short GWR EMUs?
Because some of the branches can only take 2-car units, and no 25kV EMUs
produced since about 1970 have been less than 3-car. Building a batch of a
handful of special 2-car units would be prohibitively expensive, so one
suggestion was to leave a diesel island instead. However if there's a batch
of short, NR-spec 25kV units are being built for use elsewhere, a tag-on
order becomes feasible.
If it is only the platform lengths which are the trouble then just
isolate the doors on the "surplus" vehicle ? OTOH if money is being
spent on electrification anyway then some (maybe not universal)
platform lengthening might be justified. Is there anything within
gauge (-ish) that could be borrowed from Le Continong to test the
traffic in the absence of any suitable domestic EMUs ? The main
problem above WRT EMUs seems to be the current absence of motor
coaches with a cab.
Theo
2016-07-20 19:00:22 UTC
Post by Charles Ellson
If it is only the platform lengths which are the trouble then just
isolate the doors on the "surplus" vehicle ?
The Marlow shuttle reverses at Bourne End, but there is only two cars'
length between the junction and the buffer stops. The buffer stops cannot
be pushed further on because they're up against an A road (there was
originally a level crossing on the route to High Wycombe) and the junction
can't be pushed back because it would fall into the Thames.
Post by Charles Ellson
Is there anything within gauge (-ish) that could be borrowed from Le
Continong to test the traffic in the absence of any suitable domestic EMUs
? The main problem above WRT EMUs seems to be the current absence of
motor coaches with a cab.
Stadler could possibly rustle up something, if it's possible to convert one
of their metre gauge vehicles to standard gauge. Probably unlikely unless
there's an order to tag it onto.

Theo
Graeme Wall
2016-07-20 19:35:52 UTC
Post by Charles Ellson
Is there anything within gauge (-ish) that could be borrowed from Le
Continong to test the traffic in the absence of any suitable domestic EMUs
? The main problem above WRT EMUs seems to be the current absence of
motor coaches with a cab.
Stadler could possibly rustle up something, if it's possible to convert one
of their metre gauge vehicles to standard gauge. Probably unlikely unless
there's an order to tag it onto.
Even their metre gauge stock is likely to be out of gauge here.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Charles Ellson
2016-07-20 19:56:12 UTC
On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 20:35:52 +0100, Graeme Wall
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Theo
Post by Charles Ellson
If it is only the platform lengths which are the trouble then just
isolate the doors on the "surplus" vehicle ?
The Marlow shuttle reverses at Bourne End, but there is only two cars'
length between the junction and the buffer stops. The buffer stops cannot
be pushed further on because they're up against an A road (there was
originally a level crossing on the route to High Wycombe) and the junction
can't be pushed back because it would fall into the Thames.
Does the same problem apply on branches other than Marlow with a
chance of being wired up ?
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Theo
Post by Charles Ellson
Is there anything within gauge (-ish) that could be borrowed from Le
Continong to test the traffic in the absence of any suitable domestic EMUs
? The main problem above WRT EMUs seems to be the current absence of
motor coaches with a cab.
Stadler could possibly rustle up something, if it's possible to convert one
of their metre gauge vehicles to standard gauge. Probably unlikely unless
there's an order to tag it onto.
Even their metre gauge stock is likely to be out of gauge here.
So the simplest bodge to avoid buying new seems to be losing the
driving end off a 3-coach EMU and sticking a cab (DfT permitting) on
one end of the motor coach. Otherwise, use up the soon to be spare
GOBLIN 172s and forget electric for the present ?
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2016-07-20 20:03:22 UTC
Post by Graham Harrison
[...]
SDO would solve that. Marlow - Bourne End is the problem, only two car
lengths between the buffers and the points and absolutely no way to extend
or realign or tweak or anything.
Post by Charles Ellson
OTOH if money is being
spent on electrification anyway then some (maybe not universal)
platform lengthening might be justified. Is there anything within
gauge (-ish) that could be borrowed from Le Continong to test the
traffic in the absence of any suitable domestic EMUs ? The main
problem above WRT EMUs seems to be the current absence of motor
coaches with a cab.
I'm not up to speed on current EMU formations but 323s certainly have
motored driving coaches. What's missing from the 2-car EMU equation is
pantograph driving coaches...

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Neil Williams
2016-07-21 08:30:11 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
SDO would solve that. Marlow - Bourne End is the problem, only two car
lengths between the buffers and the points and absolutely no way to extend
or realign or tweak or anything.
If you look at it on Google Maps, there's a convenient 2-car DMU
heading off towards Marlow, and if you put a ruler on that it looks
like 3x23m *only just* doesn't fit, which means 3x20m probably *would*
fit.

The new GWR EMUs are 20m, aren't they? So just build a 3-car set or two.

Neil
--
Neil Williams
r***@hotmail.com
2016-07-21 09:37:38 UTC
Post by Charles Ellson
OTOH if money is being
spent on electrification anyway then some (maybe not universal)
platform lengthening might be justified. Is there anything within
gauge (-ish) that could be borrowed from Le Continong to test the
traffic in the absence of any suitable domestic EMUs ? The main
problem above WRT EMUs seems to be the current absence of motor
coaches with a cab.
I'm not up to speed on current EMU formations but 323s certainly have
motored driving coaches. What's missing from the 2-car EMU equation is
pantograph driving coaches...
Anna Noyd-Dryver
I gather someone from Network Rail gave a talk to the Maidenhead Marlow Passengers Association and expressed the view that a three-car train could fit at Bourne End. Presumably this was based on the Turbo vehicles being 23m stock, while new trains would be 20m.

In the audience was the guy who had drawn the diagram they were displaying to show trains being able to reach both platforms from Marlow. Apparently he contracted the speaker, who stuck to his view.

Anyone got a tape measure??

Rob.
Charles Ellson
2016-07-21 21:36:00 UTC
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Post by Charles Ellson
[...]
From the Sectional Appendix :-
MARLOW Platform - 54m, 59yds
BOURNE END Down Platform - 47m, 51yds (Up Platform 125m, 137yds)
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2016-07-22 12:41:11 UTC
Post by Charles Ellson
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Anyone got a tape measure??
From the Sectional Appendix :-
MARLOW Platform - 54m, 59yds
BOURNE END Down Platform - 47m, 51yds (Up Platform 125m, 137yds)
I can't believe that there's only 50cm between the coupling and the stop
block, and between the cab and the signal, otherwise there'll be lots and
lots of either 'stop short's or collisions! So I'd take that with a pinch
of salt TBH. But I would take it as a sign that there's unlikely to be the
16m that several posters are hoping for.

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Charles Ellson
2016-07-22 20:03:31 UTC
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 12:41:11 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Charles Ellson
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Anyone got a tape measure??
From the Sectional Appendix :-
MARLOW Platform - 54m, 59yds
BOURNE END Down Platform - 47m, 51yds (Up Platform 125m, 137yds)
I can't believe that there's only 50cm between the coupling and the stop
block, and between the cab and the signal, otherwise there'll be lots and
lots of either 'stop short's or collisions! So I'd take that with a pinch
of salt TBH. But I would take it as a sign that there's unlikely to be the
16m that several posters are hoping for.
I would expect the measurement is the available platform length
subject to either a standard end clearance (any comment from drivers
?) and/or a stopping mark but I'm not intending to do comparative
research at my local stations.
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2016-07-22 22:24:58 UTC
Post by Charles Ellson
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 12:41:11 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Charles Ellson
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Anyone got a tape measure??
From the Sectional Appendix :-
MARLOW Platform - 54m, 59yds
BOURNE END Down Platform - 47m, 51yds (Up Platform 125m, 137yds)
I can't believe that there's only 50cm between the coupling and the stop
block, and between the cab and the signal, otherwise there'll be lots and
lots of either 'stop short's or collisions! So I'd take that with a pinch
of salt TBH. But I would take it as a sign that there's unlikely to be the
16m that several posters are hoping for.
I would expect the measurement is the available platform length
subject to either a standard end clearance (any comment from drivers
?) and/or a stopping mark but I'm not intending to do comparative
research at my local stations.
Sectional Appendix usually quotes 'usable length' ie the bit which is
maintained/not fenced off/is between the two signals (relevant to the
recent Plymouth crash). At least 2 GWR platforms are longer for the branch
than the mainline because the platform face curves around with the track on
the branch. To terminate and reverse a 46m train I'd expect a usable length
of at least 50m if not 52m.

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Michael R N Dolbear
2016-07-22 22:04:47 UTC
"Anna Noyd-Dryver" wrote in
Post by Charles Ellson
From the Sectional Appendix :-
MARLOW Platform - 54m, 59yds
BOURNE END Down Platform - 47m, 51yds (Up Platform 125m, 137yds)
I can't believe that there's only 50cm between the coupling and the stop
block, and between the cab and the signal, otherwise there'll be lots and
lots of either 'stop short's or collisions! So I'd take that with a pinch
of salt TBH. But I would take it as a sign that there's unlikely to be the
16m that several posters are hoping for.

Can we terminate all trains in the Up Platform ?
Mike D
Christopher A. Lee
2016-07-20 20:05:57 UTC
Post by Graham Harrison
MR has an item about the Newcatsle metro needing new units. The
suggestion is that new units witll be procured which will be both 1500
v dc and 25000 v ac compatible and also crash standards will be to NR
levels.
Would such a unit provide a solution to the London area GWR branches -
particularly Marlow?
I'm not sure of the relevance of these units for GWR branches? If
they're electrified, why not use normal short GWR EMUs?
Because some of the branches can only take 2-car units, and no 25kV EMUs
produced since about 1970 have been less than 3-car. Building a batch of a
handful of special 2-car units would be prohibitively expensive, so one
suggestion was to leave a diesel island instead. However if there's a batch
of short, NR-spec 25kV units are being built for use elsewhere, a tag-on
order becomes feasible.
How small would the batch be?

They could run in pairs or tripled to give 4 or 6 car trains as well,
just like the class 101s did.
Anna Noyd-Dryver
Robert
2016-07-20 20:57:55 UTC
Post by Graham Harrison
[...]
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Anna Noyd-Dryver
Why and where would anyone want to do that? Through running from both
the Marlow/Bourne End to Maidenhead and the Henley - Twyford branches
is being abandoned with the advent of Crossrail. There is only a need
for one two coach set - and possibly a spare. So why not continue using
a two coach Class 165? At the speeds and distances concerned it will
corrode away before it wears out and full tanks will keep it running
for a month.
Robert
Graham Harrison
2016-07-20 22:26:34 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Anna Noyd-Dryver
Why and where would anyone want to do that? Through running from both
the Marlow/Bourne End to Maidenhead and the Henley - Twyford branches
is being abandoned with the advent of Crossrail. There is only a need
for one two coach set - and possibly a spare. So why not continue using
a two coach Class 165? At the speeds and distances concerned it will
corrode away before it wears out and full tanks will keep it running
for a month.
West Ealing-Greenford is also 2 coach (usually), Slough/Windsor is
often 2 coach. Twyford/Henley is usually 3 coach. Maidenhead/Marlow
is spilt in 2 during rush hours with 2 cars shuttling from Bourne End
to Marlow and 3 (usually) between Maidenhead and Bourne End.

Whilst Bourne End is the constraint wiring the other branches and
using these 2-car units (perhaps in multiple in some cases) would be
feasible on all the branches and probably Reading/Basingstoke as well.

I don't know the length of the units on the Newcastle Metro but they
aren't very long so they'll fit. Given that they will be electric
the possibility of higher frequency (because of higher acceleration)
might (not will) be available.

Yes, the 165s could continue to shuttle about and, yes, there has been
discussion about handing off Greenford to Chiltern but if a batch
could be tagged on to the Nexus order so that the Thames Valley
branches can be wired those 165s can be used somewhere where they're
needed.
Graham Harrison
2016-07-20 22:41:41 UTC
On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 23:26:34 +0100, Graham Harrison
Post by Graham Harrison
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
[...]
Thinking even further out of the box I also wonder whether units like
this might have some relevance to South Wales and the valleys lines?
Recliner
2016-07-20 22:45:14 UTC
Post by Graham Harrison
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
[...]
The Valley line electrification was dependent on EU funding, so it looks
like Wales has voted for them not to be electrified.
Recliner
2016-07-20 22:41:44 UTC
Post by Graham Harrison
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
[...]
I think the current Metro articulated cars may even be too short at 28m
(the same as the DLR). The Metro trains are normally two-car, or about 56m
long. Is that too long for the Marlow branch?

Of course, the Metro replacement stock may be different, just as longer
articulated units are being considered for the DLR.
Robert
2016-07-21 07:54:44 UTC
Post by Graham Harrison
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
[...]
What, exactly, is the point of wiring short, low speed branch lines
which are (or will be) operated in isolation from the main lines? The
train service is not intensive, there is no need for it to be intensive
in the sense of more than 3 or 4 trains per hour at the outside and
there is no need for interworking. In this context the Reading -
Basingstoke line is irrelevant

Why blow capital and resources where they are not needed? Putting up
wires which can supply 6,000hp per train is a stupid waste of money
when all one needs is 600hp - maximum. Network Rail has shown itself to
be completely incompetent in electrifying its lines, the GW is 2
*years* late and vastly over budget, the wiring in the North West is
also late and will cost more than budgeted and so is that in Scotland.

For the low mileage and low speeds they operate at the existing dmus
are perfectly adequate although overpowered, have a transmission which
is not optimised for frequent starts and low speeds and have an
excessive top speed Vivarail's Class 230 would be a better match for
the tasks in hand.
Robert
Neil Williams
2016-07-21 08:32:41 UTC
Post by Robert
Why blow capital and resources where they are not needed? Putting up
wires which can supply 6,000hp per train is a stupid waste of money
Is it? At 25kV it can quite possibly be done without a substation,
like Windermere.

OTOH, another good option might be to wire at 750VDC and just use trams.

Personally, I think we need to stop belching fumes into the atmosphere.

Neil
--
Neil Williams
Recliner
2016-07-21 09:00:03 UTC
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Robert
Why blow capital and resources where they are not needed? Putting up
wires which can supply 6,000hp per train is a stupid waste of money
Is it? At 25kV it can quite possibly be done without a substation,
like Windermere.
OTOH, another good option might be to wire at 750VDC and just use trams.
That's basically the same as using new T&W units. Or, given that the DLR
may soon be going for a total fleet replacement, maybe a few of its current
units could be transferred? They're 28m long, so it should be possible for
pairs of them to fit. They use side contact electrification, which is much
cheaper than OHLE and doesn't look ugly. They could be driven manually to
save the expense of the ATO computers.
unknown
2016-07-21 11:15:25 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Robert
Why blow capital and resources where they are not needed? Putting up
wires which can supply 6,000hp per train is a stupid waste of money
Is it? At 25kV it can quite possibly be done without a substation,
like Windermere.
OTOH, another good option might be to wire at 750VDC and just use trams.
That's basically the same as using new T&W units. Or, given that the DLR
may soon be going for a total fleet replacement, maybe a few of its current
units could be transferred? They're 28m long, so it should be possible for
pairs of them to fit. They use side contact electrification, which is much
cheaper than OHLE and doesn't look ugly. They could be driven manually to
save the expense of the ATO computers.
Ah if we allow other than OHLE ie third rail - there are 2 car EMUs -
the 456s, Southern no doubt would be happy for some more 377s or others
to replace them
Mark
Recliner
2016-07-21 11:38:39 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by Recliner
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Robert
[...]
Southern doesn't operate 456s any more, so it has none to get rid of.
And SWT has just finished refurbishing them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_456#South_West_Trains

I suspect the DLR's bottom contact third rail would be more likely to
be allowed than an island of top contact third rail.
Sou';wester
2016-07-21 11:40:21 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by Recliner
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Robert
[...]
Make a "Once in a generation" infrastructure decision on the basis of "We
might have a few second-hand units we could use to save a few quid"?
Robert
2016-07-21 09:47:20 UTC
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Robert
Why blow capital and resources where they are not needed? Putting up
wires which can supply 6,000hp per train is a stupid waste of money
Is it? At 25kV it can quite possibly be done without a substation,
like Windermere.
OTOH, another good option might be to wire at 750VDC and just use trams.
Personally, I think we need to stop belching fumes into the atmosphere.
Neil
Belching fumes? Ever heard of Stage IIIB?

The journeys are short and the trains are standing idle for much of the
time. Just switch the bloody diesel off when the train is not moving -
any modern car can do that.

It's certainly a *lot* cheaper than erecting an eye-sore of overhead
wires for the occasional mini-train. It also has a chance of being
completed on schedule.
Robert
Charlie Hulme
2016-07-21 10:42:43 UTC
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Robert
Why blow capital and resources where they are not needed?
Putting up wires which can supply 6,000hp per train is a
stupid waste of money
Is it? At 25kV it can quite possibly be done without a
substation, like Windermere.
OTOH, another good option might be to wire at 750VDC and just
use trams.
Castlefield Jc to Trafford Park is (or was?) was wired at 25 kV
using simple tram-style OHL. More money saved.

Charlie
Sou';wester
2016-07-21 11:11:51 UTC
Post by Charlie Hulme
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Robert
Why blow capital and resources where they are not needed?
Putting up wires which can supply 6,000hp per train is a
stupid waste of money
Is it? At 25kV it can quite possibly be done without a
substation, like Windermere.
OTOH, another good option might be to wire at 750VDC and just use trams.
Castlefield Jc to Trafford Park is (or was?) was wired at 25 kV
using simple tram-style OHL. More money saved.
Charlie
I would hope public opinion is, at last,turning against that 60 year
aberration, the diesel train! Send 'em off to the West Highlands and
other remote places where their stink can disperse without troubling
too many people.
Seriously, however, why is OHLE any more ugly than any other piece of
railway equipment? Not "Heritage"? What about traditional Telegraph wires?
Simple 25Kv electrification could be fed from the main route without a
substation, something that would be needed for any isolated low voltage
system. Speaking of isolation, 25Kv equipment can access depots and
workshops by running on the mainline, not an option to an isolated low-
voltage system.
Recliner
2016-07-21 11:23:18 UTC
On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 04:11:51 -0700 (PDT), "Sou';wester"
Post by Sou';wester
Post by Charlie Hulme
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Robert
Why blow capital and resources where they are not needed?
Putting up wires which can supply 6,000hp per train is a
stupid waste of money
Is it? At 25kV it can quite possibly be done without a
substation, like Windermere.
OTOH, another good option might be to wire at 750VDC and just use trams.
Castlefield Jc to Trafford Park is (or was?) was wired at 25 kV
using simple tram-style OHL. More money saved.
Charlie
I would hope public opinion is, at last,turning against that 60 year
aberration, the diesel train! Send 'em off to the West Highlands and
other remote places where their stink can disperse without troubling
too many people.
I don't think there's any plan to electrify the Greenford branch, so
that's at least one diesel island that's planned to stay.
Post by Sou';wester
Seriously, however, why is OHLE any more ugly than any other piece of
railway equipment? Not "Heritage"? What about traditional Telegraph wires?
Simple 25Kv electrification could be fed from the main route without a
substation, something that would be needed for any isolated low voltage
system. Speaking of isolation, 25Kv equipment can access depots and
workshops by running on the mainline, not an option to an isolated low-
voltage system.
Yes, I think that would be the main benefit of 25kV OHLE. It would
also provide more flexibility for future deployment of the units.

So it would seem best to use 3x20m 25kV units that are, ideally,
closely related to and able to run in multiple with longer EMUs on the
GWR.
Robert
2016-07-21 11:56:35 UTC
Post by Sou';wester
Post by Charlie Hulme
Post by Sou';wester
Seriously, however, why is OHLE any more ugly than any other piece of
railway equipment? Not "Heritage"? What about traditional Telegraph wires?
Simple 25Kv electrification could be fed from the main route without a
substation, something that would be needed for any isolated low voltage
system. Speaking of isolation, 25Kv equipment can access depots and
workshops by running on the mainline, not an option to an isolated low-
voltage system.
Yes, I think that would be the main benefit of 25kV OHLE. It would
also provide more flexibility for future deployment of the units.
So it would seem best to use 3x20m 25kV units that are, ideally,
closely related to and able to run in multiple with longer EMUs on the
GWR.
We were talking about the Thames Valley branches. There are, or will
be, no interworking from the branches to the main lines - with the
possible exception of the Reading - Basingstoke branch. The 3 coach
emus will not be joined to or separated from any trains on the Reliefs
at Twyford, Maidenhead or Ealing or on the Main lines at Slough.

Why is there this desire to complicate things? The existing trains will
be suitable, but not ideal, for service on these branches for decades
to come.
Robert
Neil Williams
2016-07-21 12:32:02 UTC
Post by Robert
Why is there this desire to complicate things?
Because filthy DMUs should be relegated to being a 20th century relic.
Switzerland got it right by missing out diesel and going straight to
electricity.

It sounds like 3x20m EMUs would do, so either build a couple of new
ones or use some 321s or similar.

Neil
--
Neil Williams
Robert
2016-07-21 14:21:53 UTC
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Robert
Why is there this desire to complicate things?
Because filthy DMUs should be relegated to being a 20th century relic.
Switzerland got it right by missing out diesel and going straight to
electricity.
It sounds like 3x20m EMUs would do, so either build a couple of new
ones or use some 321s or similar.
Neil
So it's a question of perception (of pollution sources) rather than economics?

Electrification is fine for high power requirements for high speeds and
for high intensity operations as the installed power permits close
headway running in a suburban setting. Regeneration under such
conditions can make significant fuel savings.

None of these conditions are met on short branch lines with a 40-50mph
maximum speed and a train every 30 minutes. Don't waste the capital
electrifying such branches, use it where it at least stands a chance of
making a return and will be of more use to more people.

The reason Switzerland went from coal directly to electricity is well
known and has no bearing whatsoever on the choice of a power source for
the Thames Valley branch trains.
Robert
Neil Williams
2016-07-21 14:42:36 UTC
Post by Robert
So it's a question of perception (of pollution sources) rather than economics?
Economics are not the only driver (though your posts often propose it
as the absolute priority).

Neil
--
Neil Williams
Robert
2016-07-21 15:13:05 UTC
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Robert
So it's a question of perception (of pollution sources) rather than economics?
Economics are not the only driver (though your posts often propose it
as the absolute priority).
Neil
Not the only one - but for businesses economics is existentially important.

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and
six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure
twenty pounds ought and six, result misery".

What people decide to do with their money in their private lives is
entirely up to them and economics may not be the prime driver. It often
isn't and wonderful things can result. For businesses it has to be.
Robert
Neil Williams
2016-07-21 16:33:16 UTC
Post by Robert
What people decide to do with their money in their private lives is
entirely up to them and economics may not be the prime driver. It often
isn't and wonderful things can result. For businesses it has to be.
For *businesses* yes. A country isn't a business either, though it
often has to be run a bit like one, and should (and often does) choose
to do things for reasons other than pure economics.

Neil
--
Neil Williams
Robert
2016-07-21 19:02:48 UTC
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Robert
What people decide to do with their money in their private lives is
entirely up to them and economics may not be the prime driver. It often
isn't and wonderful things can result. For businesses it has to be.
For *businesses* yes. A country isn't a business either, though it
often has to be run a bit like one, and should (and often does) choose
to do things for reasons other than pure economics.
Neil
Right. So if electrifying the the Thames Valley branches costs the
infrastructure company and the train operating companies more that
would be the case if they remained as they are - and the 'more'
includes direct capital costs, operating and amortisation costs as well
as the opportunity costs of *not* electrifying a piece of main line
with the money spent on the branches - then the 'country' should
compensate the companies.

Countries can decide to do what they like - within reason! - but they
should be very clear about what they decide to do and the choices that
have to be made in reaching that decision and the likely consequences
of that decision. Electrifying the Thames Valley branches simply
because diesel engines are so 20th century is *not* a valid reason.
Robert
Neil Williams
2016-07-21 20:49:29 UTC
Post by Robert
Countries can decide to do what they like - within reason! - but they
should be very clear about what they decide to do and the choices that
have to be made in reaching that decision and the likely consequences
of that decision. Electrifying the Thames Valley branches simply
because diesel engines are so 20th century is *not* a valid reason.
That we should move away from the polluting, old-fashioned internal
combustion engine powering our public transport to modern electric
trains, trams and buses is a *very* valid reason.

Neil
--
Neil Williams
Martin Coffee
2016-07-21 21:46:25 UTC
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Robert
Countries can decide to do what they like - within reason! - but they
should be very clear about what they decide to do and the choices that
have to be made in reaching that decision and the likely consequences
of that decision. Electrifying the Thames Valley branches simply
because diesel engines are so 20th century is *not* a valid reason.
That we should move away from the polluting, old-fashioned internal
combustion engine powering our public transport to modern electric
trains, trams and buses is a *very* valid reason.
There is the very real possibility that we will be short of electricity
due to the successive government failures to replace power stations
which have closed down.

One could argue that slow branch lines should NOT be electrified.
Neil Williams
2016-07-22 07:51:43 UTC
Post by Martin Coffee
There is the very real possibility that we will be short of electricity
due to the successive government failures to replace power stations
which have closed down.
One could argue that slow branch lines should NOT be electrified.
Or perhaps we need to solve that problem, ideally by the building of a
new generation of nuclear power stations.

Neil
--
Neil Williams
Robert
2016-07-21 22:17:53 UTC
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Robert
Countries can decide to do what they like - within reason! - but they
should be very clear about what they decide to do and the choices that
have to be made in reaching that decision and the likely consequences
of that decision. Electrifying the Thames Valley branches simply
because diesel engines are so 20th century is *not* a valid reason.
That we should move away from the polluting, old-fashioned internal
combustion engine powering our public transport to modern electric
trains, trams and buses is a *very* valid reason.
Neil
Get a grip! We are talking here of a maximum of 3 or 4 short trains in
service at the same time. As cars make up 70% of ALL transport CO2
emissions removing these trains will make two tenths of bugger all
difference.

In other news I also note that a fleet of high speed diesel powered
trains has been ordered for use on the newly wired GW system.
Robert
Neil Williams
2016-07-22 07:53:25 UTC
Post by Robert
Get a grip! We are talking here of a maximum of 3 or 4 short trains in
service at the same time. As cars make up 70% of ALL transport CO2
emissions removing these trains will make two tenths of bugger all
difference.
There is quite a lot of power (ha!) behind the idea of "use the train,
it's less polluting".
Post by Robert
In other news I also note that a fleet of high speed diesel powered
trains has been ordered for use on the newly wired GW system.
I'd suggest you should get down off your high horse on this one, as
you've been there a while :). They are being ordered as bi-modes for
flexibility due to electrification delays and for later redeployment.
They will not run on diesel under the wires.

Neil
--
Neil Williams
Charlie Hulme
2016-07-22 07:20:16 UTC
Post by Neil Williams
That we should move away from the polluting, old-fashioned
internal combustion engine powering our public transport to
modern electric trains, trams and buses is a *very* valid
reason.
Depends on how the electricity is generated?

Charlie
Roland Perry
2016-07-22 07:28:40 UTC
Post by Charlie Hulme
Post by Neil Williams
That we should move away from the polluting, old-fashioned
internal combustion engine powering our public transport to
modern electric trains, trams and buses is a *very* valid
reason.
Depends on how the electricity is generated?
It also depends a bit on how may days of the year you are prepared to
have your journey severely disrupted on account of the knitting falling
down.
Roland Perry
Neil Williams
2016-07-22 07:54:03 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
It also depends a bit on how may days of the year you are prepared to
have your journey severely disrupted on account of the knitting falling
down.
Provided the knitting is of requisite quality (not the cheap and nasty
ECML approach) a DMU is far less reliable than an EMU so unless you
have a load of spares it'll even out.

Neil
--
Neil Williams
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2016-07-22 08:35:32 UTC
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 08:54:03 +0100, Neil Williams
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Roland Perry
It also depends a bit on how may days of the year you are prepared to
have your journey severely disrupted on account of the knitting falling
down.
Provided the knitting is of requisite quality (not the cheap and nasty
ECML approach) a DMU is far less reliable than an EMU so unless you
have a load of spares it'll even out.
And the disruption of an isolated branch of the types here isn't going
to impinge on as many services as an incident on a busy main line,
Fairly easy to bustitute or taxi for those distances ,grab some
coaches of car parks in Windsor while Northerners on Holiday go round
the castle.

OTOH as others have implied the small amount of Diesel operation
involved is hardly going to change the world.
To take that further you could be providing ammunition for a lobby who
might suggest that if a railway isn't busy enough to be electrified
then close it and use Buses/coaches whose battery /hybrid versions
are liable to be developed further and easier to obtain simply because
of a much wider market which unlike railway stock are constrained by
as many loading gauge issues unique to one country.

G.Harman
Roland Perry
2016-07-22 08:35:28 UTC
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Roland Perry
It also depends a bit on how may days of the year you are prepared to
have your journey severely disrupted on account of the knitting
falling down.
Provided the knitting is of requisite quality (not the cheap and nasty
ECML approach) a DMU is far less reliable than an EMU so unless you
have a load of spares it'll even out.
The knitting on the GA lines between Stansted and London seems just as
unreliable as the ECML. And I'm not sure if you lump the Fen Line in
with ECML.

Cross fingers, I've never been on a DMU that failed en-route. Unless you
count an HST that ground to a halt somewhere near Wellingborough with
the brakes jammed on. And I don't think that was linked to the traction
method.
Roland Perry
Charlie Hulme
2016-07-22 12:45:13 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Cross fingers, I've never been on a DMU that failed en-route.
Oh really - I certainly have! Several times.

Charlie
Graeme Wall
2016-07-22 15:33:01 UTC
Post by Charlie Hulme
Post by Roland Perry
Cross fingers, I've never been on a DMU that failed en-route.
Oh really - I certainly have! Several times.
Charlie
Conversely I've never been on an EMU that's failed. Got stuck on one
once when the diesel loco on the container train ahead of us failed.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Charlie Hulme
2016-07-22 15:54:17 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Conversely I've never been on an EMU that's failed. Got stuck on
one once when the diesel loco on the container train ahead of us
failed.
I've been on several that have 'failed' because of a problem with
the OHL. At least diesels and battery electrics don't have this
problem.

DB operated several classes of battery-electric railcar for
years, LU had (or has?) battery-locos. But with all our modern
science, it seems odd that we don't seem to make a success of
them today.

Charlie
Charles Ellson
2016-07-22 20:08:25 UTC
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 16:54:17 +0100, Charlie Hulme
Post by Charlie Hulme
Post by Graeme Wall
Conversely I've never been on an EMU that's failed. Got stuck on
one once when the diesel loco on the container train ahead of us
failed.
I've been on several that have 'failed' because of a problem with
the OHL. At least diesels and battery electrics don't have this
problem.
DB operated several classes of battery-electric railcar for
years, LU had (or has?) battery-locos.
Still has, usually worked top and tail and also capable of using the
juice when available so there's a bit more redundancy than with a
diesel loco.
Charlie
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2016-07-22 22:24:58 UTC
Post by Charlie Hulme
Post by Graeme Wall
Conversely I've never been on an EMU that's failed. Got stuck on
one once when the diesel loco on the container train ahead of us
failed.
I've been on several that have 'failed' because of a problem with
the OHL. At least diesels and battery electrics don't have this
problem.
DB operated several classes of battery-electric railcar for
years, LU had (or has?) battery-locos.
Still has, usually worked top and tail and also capable of using the
juice when available so there's a bit more redundancy than with a
diesel loco.
Also they tend to work fairly short distances under battery power - just
during possessions and isolations. It's worth observing though that LU has
recently converted several diesel locos to battery power...

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2016-07-22 19:53:44 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Charlie Hulme
Post by Roland Perry
Cross fingers, I've never been on a DMU that failed en-route.
Oh really - I certainly have! Several times.
Charlie
Conversely I've never been on an EMU that's failed. Got stuck on one
once when the diesel loco on the container train ahead of us failed.
Three EMUs have failed while I've been driving. Two somehow fixed
themselves... Only once have I seen wires down, and (by luck) all it
resulted in was trains not calling at two stations. Luckily I avoided the
recent drama at Paddington. DMUs, I don't think I've had a total failure
since I was on work experience from 6th form, but I have had several on one
engine, or other limp-to-next-station-and-terminate problems. HSTs again no
outright failures but several which got terminated at the next major
station...

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Robert
2016-07-22 09:28:41 UTC
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Roland Perry
It also depends a bit on how may days of the year you are prepared to
have your journey severely disrupted on account of the knitting falling
down.
Provided the knitting is of requisite quality (not the cheap and nasty
ECML approach) a DMU is far less reliable than an EMU so unless you
have a load of spares it'll even out.
Neil
I think you will find that the 25 year old Class 159 dmus return a
Miles per Technical Incident value which is better than many emus.
Robert
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2016-07-22 14:08:30 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by Neil Williams
Provided the knitting is of requisite quality (not the cheap and nasty
ECML approach) a DMU is far less reliable than an EMU so unless you
have a load of spares it'll even out.
Neil
I think you will find that the 25 year old Class 159 dmus return a
Miles per Technical Incident value which is better than many emus.
Could some of that be down to an efficient maintainaince regime by SWT
under Christian Roth?
If that is case are such things considered during the Franchise
renewal assements or is just down to "we'll run the service for x
millions a year."

g.harman
Robert
2016-07-22 16:20:26 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.co.uk
Post by Robert
Post by Neil Williams
Provided the knitting is of requisite quality (not the cheap and nasty
ECML approach) a DMU is far less reliable than an EMU so unless you
have a load of spares it'll even out.
Neil
I think you will find that the 25 year old Class 159 dmus return a
Miles per Technical Incident value which is better than many emus.
Could some of that be down to an efficient maintainaince regime by SWT
under Christian Roth?
If that is case are such things considered during the Franchise
renewal assements or is just down to "we'll run the service for x
millions a year."
g.harman
Absolutely! I would suggest all of it!

Theoretically electric trains should be more reliable than diesels for
all the usual reasons. But SWT shows that it's not that simple -
attention to detail in maintenance trumps theory.

What is inexcusable is that other TOCs don't reach the same level of
expertise. There seems to be a serious lack of quality engineering
management elsewhere - or it has been considered that under other
conditions the reliability as it is now can be accepted. But Roth's
trains serve Waterloo - so anything sitting down across the station
throat in the rush hour will cost mega-bucks and be bad for SWT's
reputation. This is the driver to make the trains reliable - and SWT's
fleets make up more than half of the list of most reliable trains. But
it needs somebody like Roth to make it happen. The man should be cloned!

Pass on the franchise renewal issue - I don't know.
Robert
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2016-07-22 12:41:12 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Charlie Hulme
Post by Neil Williams
That we should move away from the polluting, old-fashioned
internal combustion engine powering our public transport to
modern electric trains, trams and buses is a *very* valid
reason.
Depends on how the electricity is generated?
It also depends a bit on how may days of the year you are prepared to
have your journey severely disrupted on account of the knitting falling
down.
The GWML OHLE is being built to a somewhat more 'falling down resistant'
specification that existing UK OHLE schemes.

How often to other countries suffer 'falling down's?

Anna Noyd-Dryver
r***@gmail.com
2016-07-22 08:17:23 UTC
Post by Charlie Hulme
Post by Neil Williams
That we should move away from the polluting, old-fashioned
internal combustion engine powering our public transport to
modern electric trains, trams and buses is a *very* valid
reason.
Depends on how the electricity is generated?
The only method of power generation that comes close to the inefficiencies and polution of a DMU engine is a coal power station, and they are being phased out in favour of more efficient and cleaner sources. Modern gas power stations are above 62% thermal efficiency now.

Robin
r***@gmail.com
2016-07-22 08:14:16 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Robert
[...]
Small branch lines will never wash their faces economically as stand-alone operations. They are viable as a way of providing "last mile" connections as part of longer journeys as part of a larger network. As such, the economics of how best to operate the branch will depend on the context of the whole network. Retaining a diesel island in an otherwise electric network introduces costs associated with maintaining a small fleet of dedicated vehicles requiring substantially different maintenance and staff-training and logistics (eg fuel supply) introduces significant costs. In other areas, eg parts of the Southern Region, lines that wouldn't justify electrification on their own have been electrified on the basis that eliminating a small island of diesel operation is cheaper than the cost of electrification.

Robin
Robert
2016-07-22 09:37:01 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
Post by Robert
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Robert
[...]
The (diesel operated) Southern lines ran into London so were long(ish)
distance operations operating at line speed - the wear and tear on the
stock would be par for the course and would need main line standards of
maintenance.

The Slough - Windsor journey takes 6 minutes, runs at a maximum speed
of 40mph or so and is isolated from the main network. The train will
hardly use any brake pads and could be filled by a bowser at Slough
once every 5 days.

Don't make the situation more complicated than it need be.
Post by r***@gmail.com
Robin
Robert
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2016-07-22 12:41:12 UTC
Robert <***@gmail.com> wrote:
.
Post by Robert
The Slough - Windsor journey takes 6 minutes, runs at a maximum speed
of 40mph or so and is isolated from the main network. The train will
hardly use any brake pads and could be filled by a bowser at Slough
once every 5 days.
It was 2 1/2 days last time you quoted it! 7 1/2 days or 10 days next time?
;)

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Robert
2016-07-22 14:14:24 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
.
Post by Robert
The Slough - Windsor journey takes 6 minutes, runs at a maximum speed
of 40mph or so and is isolated from the main network. The train will
hardly use any brake pads and could be filled by a bowser at Slough
once every 5 days.
It was 2 1/2 days last time you quoted it! 7 1/2 days or 10 days next time?
;)
Anna Noyd-Dryver
:-) Slough - Windsor is a five mile round trip and the units do 3
round trips an hour[*], the running time of each leg being 6 minutes.
Assuming a fifteen hour day that's 45 round trips, say 50 for a total
of 250 miles per day. There are 165/166 diagrams which cover over 700
miles a day and the units are fuelled overnight. That's 700+ miles at
up to 90mph including braking from that speed.

It seems reasonable to expect that at low speeds, and the trains are
accelerating only for a couple of minutes each trip, one might manage
more than 800 miles between refills. That's once every three days -
roughly!

The point is - they don't have to get to a depot every night to be
fuelled and a road fuel tanker could easily supply them a couple of
times per week.

[*] This is one of the reasons a battery emu might not be suitable for
this route. It was published that the Harwich branch trial showed that
the unit needed two hours charging for every hours operation. The
Windsor shuttle would be under the wires at Slough for 12 minutes in
every hour which is nothing like the published 2:1 ratio. It may, of
course, be that the low speeds on the Windsor shuttle mean that the
battery charge lasts longer, but it seems to me that with such short
turn round times it would still be marginal.
Robert
Neil Williams
2016-07-22 14:19:12 UTC
Post by Robert
[*] This is one of the reasons a battery emu might not be suitable for
this route. It was published that the Harwich branch trial showed that
the unit needed two hours charging for every hours operation. The
Windsor shuttle would be under the wires at Slough for 12 minutes in
every hour which is nothing like the published 2:1 ratio. It may, of
course, be that the low speeds on the Windsor shuttle mean that the
battery charge lasts longer, but it seems to me that with such short
turn round times it would still be marginal.
To be fair, that was a trial with a proper "heavy rail" EMU with aircon etc.

The Windsor branch would be fine with something much lighter, more like
a tram, with a low top speed and opening windows.

Neil
--
Neil Williams
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2016-07-22 19:53:44 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
.
Post by Robert
[...]
You're assuming nothing else goes wrong with the unit and needs fixing -
wiper, sticky door, ripped seat, blocked toilet - there's a thought, are
you also going to install CET pump-out equipment at the fuelling pad you'll
install to meet the environmental regs? By the time you've driven out a
fitter and a couple of cleaners every night you might as well drive the
unit back to Reading!
Post by Robert
[*] This is one of the reasons a battery emu might not be suitable for
this route. It was published that the Harwich branch trial showed that
the unit needed two hours charging for every hours operation. The
Windsor shuttle would be under the wires at Slough for 12 minutes in
every hour which is nothing like the published 2:1 ratio. It may, of
course, be that the low speeds on the Windsor shuttle mean that the
battery charge lasts longer, but it seems to me that with such short
turn round times it would still be marginal.
It's ok, the first few OHLE structures from Slough around the curve on the
branch are already installed.

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Graham Murray
2016-07-22 20:50:53 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
You're assuming nothing else goes wrong with the unit and needs fixing -
wiper, sticky door, ripped seat, blocked toilet - there's a thought, are
you also going to install CET pump-out equipment at the fuelling pad you'll
install to meet the environmental regs? By the time you've driven out a
fitter and a couple of cleaners every night you might as well drive the
unit back to Reading!
Though on the short branches such as Slough to Windsor and Twyford to
Henley, the journey is so short that the toilets could be locked out of
use.
Basil Jet
Wouldn't it be better to use a train that doesn't have a toilet?
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2016-07-22 22:24:58 UTC
Post by Graham Murray
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
You're assuming nothing else goes wrong with the unit and needs fixing -
wiper, sticky door, ripped seat, blocked toilet - there's a thought, are
you also going to install CET pump-out equipment at the fuelling pad you'll
install to meet the environmental regs? By the time you've driven out a
fitter and a couple of cleaners every night you might as well drive the
unit back to Reading!
Though on the short branches such as Slough to Windsor and Twyford to
Henley, the journey is so short that the toilets could be locked out of
use.
If there are toilets at both ends, fair enough. My memory of Windsor and
Eton Central is a platform in a shopping centre...

Anna Noyd-Dryver
r***@gmail.com
2016-07-22 12:54:01 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by r***@gmail.com
Post by Robert
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Robert
[...]
So what do you do with the unit when it needs somthing more than refuelling? Diesel engines need routine maintenance. Things like oil change, keeping the coolant topped up, replacing air and oil filters. That needs people trained to do the work. There is more invovled routine maintenance too. If all you do is keep the fuel topped off, your DMU will break down pretty quickly.

Robin
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2016-07-22 15:39:03 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
Post by Robert
Post by r***@gmail.com
Post by Robert
Post by Neil Williams
[...]
Until/unless the North Downs and Reading-Basingstoke lines get electrified,
Reading depot will still be maintaining a fleet of DMUs anyway, just a
smaller fleet than they do now. Also I'm not sure whether the plans
include/d any turbos being kept for Bedwyn, North Cotswolds and/or Banbury
trains, or whether they are all supposed to be IEP/Chiltern.

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2016-07-22 12:41:12 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
Post by Robert
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Robert
[...]
Whilst overall I totally agree, citing the Southern Region for this is not
necessarily good, as they have two (or possibly three, depending on
definition) long-standing diesel islands about which many opportunities
have been missed, and SWT recently introduced another!

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Graeme Wall
2016-07-22 15:31:00 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by r***@gmail.com
Post by Robert
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Robert
[...]
Reading-Redhill, Reading-Basingstoke and Brockenhurst-Lymington, plus
the withered arm.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Arthur Figgis
2016-07-22 17:43:38 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Whilst overall I totally agree, citing the Southern Region for this is not
necessarily good, as they have two (or possibly three, depending on
definition) long-standing diesel islands about which many opportunities
have been missed, and SWT recently introduced another!
Reading-Redhill, Reading-Basingstoke and Brockenhurst-Lymington, plus
the withered arm.
Uckfield - Hurst Green (- London Bridge), Ashford - Ore (- Brighton). Do
some more exotic diseasels still run to Brighton from the west?
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2016-07-22 19:53:43 UTC
Post by Arthur Figgis
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Whilst overall I totally agree, citing the Southern Region for this is not
necessarily good, as they have two (or possibly three, depending on
definition) long-standing diesel islands about which many opportunities
have been missed, and SWT recently introduced another!
Reading-Redhill, Reading-Basingstoke and Brockenhurst-Lymington, plus
the withered arm.
Uckfield - Hurst Green (- London Bridge), Ashford - Ore (- Brighton). Do
some more exotic diseasels still run to Brighton from the west?
I had in mind: Uckfield, Ashford-Hastings (yes they do now run from at
least Eastbourne if not Brighton), and the third being Reading-Gatwick. The
SWT-introduced one being Lymington.

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Basil Jet
2016-07-22 21:38:35 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Arthur Figgis
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Whilst overall I totally agree, citing the Southern Region for this is not
necessarily good, as they have two (or possibly three, depending on
definition) long-standing diesel islands about which many opportunities
have been missed, and SWT recently introduced another!
Reading-Redhill, Reading-Basingstoke and Brockenhurst-Lymington, plus
the withered arm.
Uckfield - Hurst Green (- London Bridge), Ashford - Ore (- Brighton). Do
some more exotic diseasels still run to Brighton from the west?
I had in mind: Uckfield, Ashford-Hastings (yes they do now run from at
least Eastbourne if not Brighton), and the third being Reading-Gatwick. The
SWT-introduced one being Lymington.
I had no idea that weekday service to Lymington was a DMU "over the
rail" (or whatever the equivalent for "under the wires" is). Mental. Is
there any other diesel service on a 100% electric track?
Jeremy Double
2016-07-22 22:03:01 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Arthur Figgis
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
[...]
A fraction of the Kings Cross to Leeds service is worked by HSTs. Those
trains that are HSTs are diesel powered on a 100% electrified track. And
the daily Skipton to Kings Cross service, again on 100% electrified track
is also worked by an HST.
Jeremy Double
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2016-07-22 18:29:59 UTC
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 16:31:00 +0100, Graeme Wall
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Whilst overall I totally agree, citing the Southern Region for this is not
necessarily good, as they have two (or possibly three, depending on
definition) long-standing diesel islands about which many opportunities
have been missed, and SWT recently introduced another!
Reading-Redhill, Reading-Basingstoke and Brockenhurst-Lymington, plus
the withered arm.
Withered arm? That was west of Exeter on the Southern lines. SWT may
have expanded operations recently but they haven't yet got onto the
remnants of the withered arm which are Exeter to Barnstaple and
Okehampton lines and Bere Alston to Plymouth though the latter ends up
on former GWR metals now days.

Perchance you meant the West of England Main line* un electrified from
Basingstoke to Exeter via Salisbury . SWT also serve Southampton by
Diesel from Salisbury with some serving the Chandlers Ford Eastleigh
route.

* still called that to differentiate from the route to Weymouth
despite the GWR route to Exeter being the main "mainline" for many
years.

G.Harman
Graeme Wall
2016-07-22 18:35:56 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.co.uk
Perchance you meant the West of England Main line* un electrified from
Basingstoke to Exeter via Salisbury . SWT also serve Southampton by
Diesel from Salisbury with some serving the Chandlers Ford Eastleigh
route.
Doh! Forgot that one and I see it most days.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Sou';wester
2016-07-21 12:52:45 UTC
Post by Robert
We were talking about the Thames Valley branches. There are, or will
be, no interworking from the branches to the main lines - with the
possible exception of the Reading - Basingstoke branch. The 3 coach
emus will not be joined to or separated from any trains on the Reliefs
at Twyford, Maidenhead or Ealing or on the Main lines at Slough.
Why is there this desire to complicate things? The existing trains will
be suitable, but not ideal, for service on these branches for decades
to come.
--
Robert
Because leaving the branches as diesel "islands" brings in other
complications! Traction Knowledge for train crew and maintenance staff,
separate fuel arrangements for the diesels, separate depot and workshop
requirements,different safety cultures for infrastructure staff within the same small area. All this can be avoided by a small and cheap wire scheme, and a small order for driving motor vehicles. Just because no requirement
for an AC driving motor has happened for a long time doesn't make it
impossible or expensive.
Surely better to send those diesels off to the west of England or Chiltern
where they can expand a compatible fleet.
On the subject of Cheap Wiring schemes, does anyone know what saving was
achieved on the Paisley Canal scheme a few years ago? That scheme was,
admittedly done for the opposite reason, to increase utilisation of already
existing electric stock.
Robert
2016-07-21 14:57:12 UTC
Post by Sou';wester
Post by Robert
[...]
Get this into your head - Network Rail does not understand the concept
of a 'cheap wiring scheme'. The GW electrification is *2 years*, not
*months* but *years* late, and is costing more than a BILLION pounds
more than the budget. And a fleet of diesel powered trains has been
ordered to run on it...one has to ask why they bothered with the wires.
The north western scheme is over budget and running late, the EGIP
electrification in Scotland has been reported as being delayed and
costing more than planned.

And you think that electrifying the Thames Branches will be cheap? Bah!

The other issues you mention are straw men. I see no reason why
intelligent men and women are incapable of remembering that diesels and
electrics are different. The branch trains - for the umpteenth time -
run no great distance at low speeds. A 165 or 166 can run over 700
miles on a daily diagram including 90mph running before fuelling. This
means it could do at least 140 round trips - about 3 days work - on the
2 1/2 mile Slough to Windsor branch. Then fuel it from a bowser at
Slough twice a week. Brake pads would last for weeks. Reading
maintenance depot has been designed as a dual-purpose building - just
keep using it like that. The staff know the diesels now - just continue
as it is.

To avoid having different safety cultures - treat the branches as if
they were electrified. It's not as if they see many maintenance staff
anyway.
Post by Sou';wester
and a small order for driving motor vehicles. Just because no requirement
for an AC driving motor has happened for a long time doesn't make it
impossible or expensive.
Not impossible, but it will be expensive as the design and approvals
costs will have to be written off over a very small number of vehicles.
Robert
Charlie Hulme
2016-07-21 13:13:27 UTC
Post by Robert
Why is there this desire to complicate things? The existing
trains will be suitable, but not ideal, for service on these
branches for decades to come.
Obvious case for battery power?

Charlie
Sam Wilson
2016-07-21 14:59:45 UTC
Post by Charlie Hulme
Post by Robert
Why is there this desire to complicate things? The existing
trains will be suitable, but not ideal, for service on these
branches for decades to come.
Obvious case for battery power?
You would have thought so. Recharge via a short section of OHLE at one
end of the route. Whatever did happen to that IPEMU that they were
trying out?

Sam
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
Christopher A. Lee
They could even borrow the BEMU.
Robert
2016-07-21 15:56:14 UTC
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Charlie Hulme
Post by Robert
Why is there this desire to complicate things? The existing
trains will be suitable, but not ideal, for service on these
branches for decades to come.
Obvious case for battery power?
You would have thought so. Recharge via a short section of OHLE at one
end of the route. Whatever did happen to that IPEMU that they were
trying out?
Sam
Ian Walmsley showed some months ago in Modern Railways that the capital
cost of the battery results in the leasing cost of the battery alone
being about the same as the leasing cost of an emu coach. This is
because the battery has a life of only five or six years before it
needs to be replaced.

The results showed it worked - but the costs came out wrong.
Robert
Sam Wilson
2016-07-21 17:58:27 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Charlie Hulme
Post by Robert
Why is there this desire to complicate things? The existing
trains will be suitable, but not ideal, for service on these
branches for decades to come.
Obvious case for battery power?
You would have thought so. Recharge via a short section of OHLE at one
end of the route. Whatever did happen to that IPEMU that they were
trying out?
Sam
Ian Walmsley showed some months ago in Modern Railways that the capital
cost of the battery results in the leasing cost of the battery alone
being about the same as the leasing cost of an emu coach. This is
because the battery has a life of only five or six years before it
needs to be replaced.
The results showed it worked - but the costs came out wrong.
But how would the costs compare with electrifying the relevant
branch(es)?

Robert
2016-07-21 19:03:52 UTC
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Robert
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Charlie Hulme
Post by Robert
[...]
How long is a piece of string?
Robert
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2016-07-21 21:13:56 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Robert
The results showed it worked - but the costs came out wrong.
But how would the costs compare with electrifying the relevant
branch(es)?
Sam
How long is a piece of string?
Thats the answer , cable haulage.

G.Harman
Recliner
2016-07-21 16:23:30 UTC
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Charlie Hulme
Post by Robert
Why is there this desire to complicate things? The existing
trains will be suitable, but not ideal, for service on these
branches for decades to come.
Obvious case for battery power?
You would have thought so. Recharge via a short section of OHLE at one
end of the route. Whatever did happen to that IPEMU that they were
trying out?
I think that was a 4-car unit, and not available a a 2-car, like other
Electrostars.
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2016-07-21 21:12:06 UTC
On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 14:13:27 +0100, Charlie Hulme
Post by Charlie Hulme
Post by Robert
Why is there this desire to complicate things? The existing
trains will be suitable, but not ideal, for service on these
branches for decades to come.
Obvious case for battery power?
Charlie
With modern materials surely they could try the atmospheric railway
again on an isolated branch like Windsor to Slough.
To avoid too much infrustructure you could blow down to Windsor and
suck back and run the compressor /exhauster from the power supply
available at the Slough end.

G.Harman
G.Harman
Graeme Wall
2016-07-22 07:32:55 UTC
Post by Charlie Hulme
Post by Robert
Why is there this desire to complicate things? The existing
trains will be suitable, but not ideal, for service on these
branches for decades to come.
Obvious case for battery power?
Charlie
With modern materials surely they could try the atmospheric railway
again on an isolated branch like Windsor to Slough.
To avoid too much infrustructure you could blow down to Windsor and
suck back and run the compressor /exhauster from the power supply
available at the Slough end.
Didn't we recently have a thread about blow-jobs on trains?
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2016-07-22 12:41:12 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by d***@yahoo.co.uk
With modern materials surely they could try the atmospheric railway
again on an isolated branch like Windsor to Slough.
To avoid too much infrustructure you could blow down to Windsor and
suck back and run the compressor /exhauster from the power supply
available at the Slough end.
Didn't we recently have a thread about blow-jobs on trains?
We did? I must have missed that one!! :S

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Theo
2016-07-22 19:55:24 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.co.uk
With modern materials surely they could try the atmospheric railway
again on an isolated branch like Windsor to Slough.
Hyperloop. Of course. I see it now.

Theo
Chris
2016-07-22 13:42:33 UTC
There was mention of using D stock on this thread - too late, they're off to the Coventry-Nuneaton line for a year

http://www.vivarail.co.uk/class-230-to-enter-passenger-service-this-year/
Recliner
2016-07-22 14:09:21 UTC
Post by Chris
There was mention of using D stock on this thread - too late, they're off
to the Coventry-Nuneaton line for a year
http://www.vivarail.co.uk/class-230-to-enter-passenger-service-this-year/
I'm glad to hear they've found a route for the D-Train prototype to run in
service. From that story, it's not clear if it will just be the first 3-car
prototype, or several trains that will be in service. I suspect it'll just
be the one prototype.

Vivarail can build up to about 75 two or three-car class 230 trains should
they be ordered, but they won't be building more than the one three-car
prototype speculatively. Perhaps surprisingly, the motor cars are easier to
convert than the trailers, as the plan is to make few changes to the
interiors of the DM cars, but the T cars will potentially have much bigger
changes, including fitting a disabled toilet, new transverse seats, and
maybe some doors plated over.

I don't think the Thames Valley branches have any urgent need for
replacement diesels, as they are already served by reasonably modern
Turbostars. The question was whether the branches should be electrified,
and what short stock could then be used. D-Trains could probably do the job
if they're no electrified, but they're really meant to replace older
Pacers, not Turbostars.
Robert
2016-07-22 14:20:39 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Chris
[...]
If I may M'Lud? The Thames Valley branches use Networker Turbos, rather
than Turbostars, so the trains are a bit older - dating from 1990. An
updated traction package would not come amiss...

But your point stands!
Robert
Recliner
Yes, indeed, Thames Turbos in fact.
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2016-07-22 19:53:45 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Chris
There was mention of using D stock on this thread - too late, they're off
to the Coventry-Nuneaton line for a year
http://www.vivarail.co.uk/class-230-to-enter-passenger-service-this-year/
I'm glad to hear they've found a route for the D-Train prototype to run in
service. From that story, it's not clear if it will just be the first 3-car
prototype, or several trains that will be in service. I suspect it'll just
be the one prototype.
Vivarail can build up to about 75 two or three-car class 230 trains should
they be ordered, but they won't be building more than the one three-car
prototype speculatively.
If this service is to be run solely by D-trains to release stock to
elsewhere, I'd suggest they'd be better with two, like the Stourbridge
shuttle. Otherwise a 153 will still have to be available for days the D is
not.
Post by Recliner
Perhaps surprisingly, the motor cars are easier to
convert than the trailers, as the plan is to make few changes to the
interiors of the DM cars, but the T cars will potentially have much bigger
changes, including fitting a disabled toilet, new transverse seats, and
maybe some doors plated over.
That's the details for this prototype set, yes. But AIUI the production
sets will be available with motor cars tarted up too, if that's what the
customer wants.
Post by Recliner
I don't think the Thames Valley branches have any urgent need for
replacement diesels, as they are already served by reasonably modern
Turbostars. The question was whether the branches should be electrified,
and what short stock could then be used. D-Trains could probably do the job
if they're no electrified, but they're really meant to replace older
Pacers, not Turbostars.
OTOH D-trains on Thames Valley branches would free up Turbos for the
cascade west, further strengthening the fleet there or allowing more 150/1
and 153 to go elsewhere.

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Recliner
2016-07-22 20:32:38 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Recliner
Perhaps surprisingly, the motor cars are easier to
convert than the trailers, as the plan is to make few changes to the
interiors of the DM cars, but the T cars will potentially have much bigger
changes, including fitting a disabled toilet, new transverse seats, and
maybe some doors plated over.
That's the details for this prototype set, yes. But AIUI the production
sets will be available with motor cars tarted up too, if that's what the
customer wants.
Not really. The big change is the controlled emissions toilet, with its
water and waste tanks. These can only be fitted to T cars. Similarly, door
changes are likely to be confined to T cars. Transverse seats could be
fitted to DMs, but that's quite a simple change.
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Recliner
I don't think the Thames Valley branches have any urgent need for
replacement diesels, as they are already served by reasonably modern
Turbostars. The question was whether the branches should be electrified,
and what short stock could then be used. D-Trains could probably do the job
if they're no electrified, but they're really meant to replace older
Pacers, not Turbostars.
OTOH D-trains on Thames Valley branches would free up Turbos for the
cascade west, further strengthening the fleet there or allowing more 150/1
and 153 to go elsewhere.
True, but I suspect there may be a psychological aversion to using
de-electrified 1980s LU stock on London commuter routes. They may be more
welcome in places where most of the passengers won't have used them in
their LU days.
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2016-07-22 22:24:58 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Recliner
Perhaps surprisingly, the motor cars are easier to
convert than the trailers, as the plan is to make few changes to the
interiors of the DM cars, but the T cars will potentially have much bigger
changes, including fitting a disabled toilet, new transverse seats, and
maybe some doors plated over.
That's the details for this prototype set, yes. But AIUI the production
sets will be available with motor cars tarted up too, if that's what the
customer wants.
Not really. The big change is the controlled emissions toilet, with its
water and waste tanks. These can only be fitted to T cars. Similarly, door
changes are likely to be confined to T cars. Transverse seats could be
fitted to DMs, but that's quite a simple change.
What's the problem with door alterations to motor cars?

Anna Noyd-Dryver
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2016-07-22 22:25:18 UTC
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 20:32:38 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
Post by Recliner
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
OTOH D-trains on Thames Valley branches would free up Turbos for the
cascade west, further strengthening the fleet there or allowing more 150/1
and 153 to go elsewhere.
True, but I suspect there may be a psychological aversion to using
de-electrified 1980s LU stock on London commuter routes. They may be more
welcome in places where most of the passengers won't have used them in
their LU days.
Good oppurtuntiy for a public relations dept to put the idea foward
that the railway is returning to Victorian values.
The District Railway ran through services to Windsor (GWR) for a short
period in the 1880's.

G.Harman