Campaign to save Reddish South
Seamer
2007-01-07 12:14:27 UTC
http://www.stockportexpress.co.uk/news/s/221/221798_united_front_for_reddish_railway_battle.html
Stevie D
2007-01-07 12:48:16 UTC
Post by Seamer
http://www.stockportexpress.co.uk/news/s/221/221798_united_front_for_reddish_railway_battle.html
I never like to see railways closed, but I really can't see any
justification for keeping this one open.

There is a bus that runs from Reddish South station every 10 minutes
to Stockport (14 minutes) and to the centre of Manchester (28
minutes).

A train to Victoria, with a reversal at Stalybridge, would be unlikely
to beat 35 minutes, making it as quick to get the bus and walk, even
if Victoria is your destination. With the granularity of the train
service (only one stop, infrequent service) compared with the fluidity
of the bus service (multiple stops, frequent service), it's hard to
see how the train could possibly compete on journeys to Manchester.

And yes, while it's quicker than the bus to Stockport, the granularity
has an even greater effect because of the short journey time. It's
only quicker if you live very close to the station, but a bus every 10
minutes is far more convenient, even if it does take 10 minutes
longer. Again, I can't see more than a handful of people choosing to
use the service.
Post by Seamer
Lib Dem Coun Dave Goddard, Stockport’s executive member for transport,
said: "Closing this station does not take into account the transport
needs of the local community nor does it make good business sense.
So the local community needs - and will pay to use - a service that is
less frequent and slower than the existing low-floor bus?
--
Stevie D
\\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the
___\\\\\\\'/ \'///////_____________________________________________
t***@beeb.net
2007-01-07 13:05:21 UTC
Stevie D wrote:

snip...
Post by Stevie D
A train to Victoria, with a reversal at Stalybridge, would be unlikely
to beat 35 minutes, making it as quick to get the bus and walk, even
if Victoria is your destination. With the granularity of the train
service (only one stop, infrequent service) compared with the fluidity
of the bus service (multiple stops, frequent service), it's hard to
see how the train could possibly compete on journeys to Manchester.
Just one note - the proposal / call isn't for reversal at Stalybridge,
its for a direct train from Stockport to Victoria, which is actually
mentioned in the Network Rail Manchester area consultation stuff
recently.

I think the immediate call is for the "Parliamentary" service to be
retained whilst the full strategy is considered so that "if" a
Stockport - Victoria service were introduced it would be more simple if
the line had stayed open to passenger services.

There was a Saturday "parliamentary" from Stockport to Victoria which
ended on the same day as the Victoria - Ashbury's service and the one
stop at Godley East, can't remember the withdrawal date.

Tony
Stevie D
2007-01-07 13:40:47 UTC
Post by t***@beeb.net
Just one note - the proposal / call isn't for reversal at Stalybridge,
its for a direct train from Stockport to Victoria, which is actually
mentioned in the Network Rail Manchester area consultation stuff
recently.
By what route? I can't see any line that would allow a direct service
from the Parly line to Victoria without a reversal?
___\\\\\\\'/ \'///////_____________________________________________
tim.....
2007-01-07 14:15:31 UTC
Post by Stevie D
Post by t***@beeb.net
Just one note - the proposal / call isn't for reversal at Stalybridge,
its for a direct train from Stockport to Victoria, which is actually
mentioned in the Network Rail Manchester area consultation stuff
recently.
By what route? I can't see any line that would allow a direct service
from the Parly line to Victoria without a reversal?
Denton Junction to Ashton Moss North, not calling at Guide Bridge.

tim
___\\\\\\\'/ \'///////_____________________________________________
Stevie D
2007-01-07 16:14:23 UTC
Post by tim.....
Denton Junction to Ashton Moss North, not calling at Guide Bridge.
Ah yes, silly me, didn't spot that one, I was only looking for
passenger lines...

I still can't see any great demand for it, it will be barely quicker
than the bus, and serves nowhere else along the way.
___\\\\\\\'/ \'///////_____________________________________________
allan tracy
2007-01-07 22:11:37 UTC
Post by Stevie D
Post by tim.....
Denton Junction to Ashton Moss North, not calling at Guide Bridge.
Ah yes, silly me, didn't spot that one, I was only looking for
passenger lines...
I still can't see any great demand for it, it will be barely quicker
than the bus, and serves nowhere else along the way.
Barely quicker than the bus in the peaks?

What about new stations also? I travelled this way in a Voyager
recently and it seemed to be a very urban area.

Where I live (Birmingham International) train to London is quicker than
a bus to Birmingham in the peak.

The full station car parks are also proof that many will choose to park
up and use a train but I've yet to see any car parks around a bus
terminus.
Stevie D
2007-01-07 22:38:24 UTC
Post by allan tracy
Barely quicker than the bus in the peaks?
The bus timetable adds a few minutes extra for the morning peaks, but
not very much.
Post by allan tracy
What about new stations also? I travelled this way in a Voyager
recently and it seemed to be a very urban area.
There's not really anywhere worth building a new station. Most of the
built-up areas have more direct routes into Manchester, eg from
Reddish North, Guide Bridge, Dean Lane. The line generally runs along
the edge of built-up areas, and is poorly placed to serve them.
Post by allan tracy
The full station car parks are also proof that many will choose to park
up and use a train but I've yet to see any car parks around a bus
terminus.
Reddish is a deprived area. The average house price is £112k, making
it among the poorest districts on that side of Manchester. That means
fewer households will have two cars, fewer people will be prepared to
pay higher prices for the train, and people are likely to be
travelling less than in other areas.
___\\\\\\\'/ \'///////_____________________________________________
Bevan Price
2007-01-07 18:53:32 UTC
Post by Stevie D
Post by Seamer
http://www.stockportexpress.co.uk/news/s/221/221798_united_front_for_reddish_railway_battle.html
I never like to see railways closed, but I really can't see any
justification for keeping this one open.
There is a bus that runs from Reddish South station every 10 minutes
to Stockport (14 minutes) and to the centre of Manchester (28
minutes).
A train to Victoria, with a reversal at Stalybridge, would be unlikely
to beat 35 minutes, making it as quick to get the bus and walk, even
if Victoria is your destination. With the granularity of the train
service (only one stop, infrequent service) compared with the fluidity
of the bus service (multiple stops, frequent service), it's hard to
see how the train could possibly compete on journeys to Manchester.
Stockport to Manchester Victoria via Reddish South & Denton in less than 22
minutes - by a Class 31 around 20 years ago (On a Nottingham - Blackpool
through service if I recall correctly). The same time ought to be possible
by a Class 150 or 156, even including stops at both intermediate stations.
However, Reddish South remains under serious threat whilst it has the
current pretty useless service.

Bevan
Tony Polson
2007-01-07 13:22:23 UTC
A strong case for prayers to St Jude, no doubt about it.
Graeme Wall
2007-01-07 13:58:45 UTC
Post by Tony Polson
Post by Seamer
http://www.stockportexpress.co.uk/news/s/221/221798_united_front_for_redd
ish_railway_battle.html
A strong case for prayers to St Jude, no doubt about it.
You'll never be heard over those from Tony Blair.
--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.
Transport Miscellany at <http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail/index.html>
m***@googlemail.com
2007-01-07 22:31:45 UTC
Post by Seamer
http://www.stockportexpress.co.uk/news/s/221/221798_united_front_for_reddish_railway_battle.html
I don't understand this article. Near the start it says: "The rejection
came at last month's full council meeting, at which proposals to keep
South Reddish station open were rejected by the ruling Lib-Dem
leadership, ahead of this Friday's review deadline by Network Rail"
which make it sound like the Lib-Dems want the station shut, but later
on it says: "Lib Dem Coun Dave Goddard, Stockport's executive member
for transport, said: "Closing this station does not take into account
the transport needs of the local community nor does it make good
business sense. "This is just the start of our campaign and we are here
to make a stand for local people. We want to improve, not weaken,
transport links in this up-and-coming centre. With cross-party support,
we will do everything we can to persuade Network Rail to keep South
Reddish station open and work with us to strengthen the service.""

Do they want it or not?
Charlie Hulme
2007-01-07 23:32:24 UTC
Post by m***@googlemail.com
Post by Seamer
http://www.stockportexpress.co.uk/news/s/221/221798_united_front_for_reddish_railway_battle.html
I don't understand this article. Near the start it says: "The rejection
came at last month's full council meeting, at which proposals to keep
South Reddish station open were rejected by the ruling Lib-Dem
leadership, ahead of this Friday's review deadline by Network Rail"
which make it sound like the Lib-Dems want the station shut, but later
on it says: "Lib Dem Coun Dave Goddard, Stockport's executive member
Reddish station open and work with us to strengthen the service.""
Do they want it or not?
As the article says, "...But the row was put to one side this week"

i.e., the Lib-Dems changed their minds.

Charlie
m***@googlemail.com
2007-01-07 23:40:43 UTC
Post by Charlie Hulme
As the article says, "...But the row was put to one side this week"
i.e., the Lib-Dems changed their minds.
Ah, thanks. Its a shame the Lib-Dems in Bristol can't change their
Anti-rail stance too. Almost every day people have been writing in
saying how buses won't get people out of their cars, criticising total
lack of transportation planning in the city, etc.

They're slowly fiddling, a few metres of bus lane here and there and a
car club, but nothing has changed, & congestion is getting worse by the
day.
Tim Fenton
2007-01-08 12:06:53 UTC
Post by m***@googlemail.com
Ah, thanks. Its a shame the Lib-Dems in Bristol can't change their
Anti-rail stance too. Almost every day people have been writing in
saying how buses won't get people out of their cars, criticising total
lack of transportation planning in the city, etc.
Only needs the Evening Post to run a story about anything perceived to be
wrong with the bus services in the city, and the amount of feedback tells
you just how hacked off folks are.
Post by m***@googlemail.com
They're slowly fiddling, a few metres of bus lane here and there and a
car club, but nothing has changed, & congestion is getting worse by the
day.
Aye. I used to use the bus once a week - to get from the Centre to Clifton
on Monday after work as I had luggage. Otherwise I walked. The time
penalty - even when returning to Clifton of an evening, which means it's
uphill - was not significant.

And ATM not much can be taken on by the rail network to ease the road
congestion.
--
Tim

"Overcoming poverty is not a gesture of charity. It is an act of justice." -
Nelson Mandela